Raised Panels - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

View iamsparticus's Photo Album My Photos
Raised Panels

Does anyone have a known angle to make raised panels on the table saw. I was going to make raised panels on the table saw and didn't want to cut ten or fifteen angles to find the angle i liked.

thanks,

Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Sommerfeld has 3 different angles. 18º, 22-1/2º, 25º. Do a test to see which you like better. That gives you something to start with.

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
The Following User Says Thank You to jlord For This Useful Post:
iamsparticus (02-01-2012)
post #3 of 6 Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Are the panels going in a frame? How thick is the frame, how thick is the panel, where will the groove go in the frame, will the panel be flush with the face of the frame, proud or inset, will you use a back cut on the panel or just a face cut, how wide will the raised area be? Answer these questions and you will know what angle to cut the raised part. Kind of reverse engineering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-01-2012, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

more detail

Well, I am using them to maka a jig for the table saw the answer to your quesiton would be. They are for the face of a drawer they will not be mounted in a frame just used as decorative facing.

Steven
post #5 of 6 Old 02-02-2012, 05:41 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
There isn't a specific answer to your question. Even with just a drawer front, there are parameters to consider. The first is the thickness of the drawer front. Will the back of the drawer front sit flat against the cabinet, will it be attached to a separate drawer or rabbetted to become part of the drawer. Will you want a reveal/step where the raised area meets the front of the panel and how wide will you want the raised area to be.

An easy way to answer some of the questions is to draw two parallel lines on a piece of paper that represent the thickness of the drawer front. Then you can draw in the things I've mentioned if any pertain. You are only limited by the maximum depth of cut your saw will make at whatever angle you choose. I would think you should maintain at least 1/4" on the thin part of the raised area that contacts the cabinet. How wide you make the raised area will determine the angle.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

18 Degree

Thanks guys for the response, I went with the 18 degree, I checked the 22 1/2 and the 25 but i really like the 18 the best. I made a prototype to the school and they really like the shallow cut the best. thanks for the help!!

Steven

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode