Question about cutting crown molding backer board - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 2 Old 05-11-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

View Novicesaw's Photo Album My Photos
Question about cutting crown molding backer board

My crown molding has one leg of 3 inches and one leg of two inches when I placed them in the square in the sprung position. My question is should the angle of my saw be 45 degrees to cut the legs? This would create two legs the same length. can some one please tell me how I need to cut my 2 X 4's to get the proper leg lengths.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Novice,
put your crown mold back in the framing square. Put a sheet of paper or thin cardboard underneath everything and trace the triangle left under the crown while it is sitting in the framing square. Cut out the triangle, take it over to your table saw and use it as a gauge to set your blade angle. When I do what you are doing, I just rip the pieces out of a 2 x 4. You don't want your backing actually touching the back of your crown. You need a slight gap there to make sure your crown sits tight against the wall and ceiling. One other thing, you need to stop your backing short of the inside corners where you are going to run a piece of crown all the way into the corner with a straight cut on it and the other mating piece of crown gets coped. Usually leaving 3-4" short is plenty.
Mike Hawkins

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode