Ply or MDF for Cabinet Panels - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 18 Old 03-04-2015, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

View cburdick1's Photo Album My Photos
Ply or MDF for Cabinet Panels

Hello all.

I'm building some cabinet doors for my mud room built in, birch cope and stick frame with panel construction.

I have always used birch ply for the panels until now, but since I'm painting these doors, I could use MDF. I've never really considered using MDF for panels, but since it's less expensive, it could be a good option.

So, do y'all have any opinions as to why MDF would be a bad choice for painted panels?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-04-2015, 07:47 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
As long as you keep the MDF dry it will work fine. The only thing I would recommend is sanding the face of it prior to finishing. Often there is such a build up of formaldehyde on the surface it screws with the paint.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-04-2015, 10:48 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
its cheap and stable. I havent quite figured out the best way to paint a routed surface though.

I can paint the factory surface or a cut edge, but when I route a raised panel door and paint that exposed surface, it gets quite bumpy from the water in the paint and the "fuzzy" routed edge. Maybe you could sand it down after the first coat, but thats alot of finish work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-04-2015, 11:10 PM

View Ghidrah's Photo Album My Photos
Excluding the stuff ways a ton the off gassing can go on for over a yr, some people are sensitive, others very. The only things I ever used it for was counter tops and my RAS table and jigs.

Work smart not hard!
Never bite the hand that looks dirty
post #5 of 18 Old 03-05-2015, 08:36 AM

View was2ndlast's Photo Album My Photos
I have found different qualities of MDF too. The HD MDF is pretty bad...and as mentioned above cannot be sanded well. At a local lumber store, I did buy some that was more yellow than brown. Cut edges sanded and held up way better. What I have most about MDF is the dust.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-05-2015, 02:38 PM

View formula462's Photo Album My Photos
Being a carpenter your first thought is to always go with wood however mdf panels are more economical and stable. As mentioned some do gas and can cause a problem for some people. Ive never had a problem with them and as far as finishing the routed portion some mdf routs better than others so when I run across that problem I sand once with 150 and then apply hide glue sand again and for me does the trick.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-06-2015, 08:54 AM

View WillemJM's Photo Album My Photos
MDF, or glorified particle board has some advantages and disadvantages.

Price is an advantage.

Painting is an advantage, provided you use a higher viscosity oil based paint. Using a woodworking finish, it will just soak right in and leave a rough surface.

It does not hold screws well, but if this will be your panel within the cope and stick frame, you should be OK.

It is very heavy, compared to ply, this will put a lot more load on your hinges.

Use an organic mask when cutting and sanding, the dust is bad news.

Pure mathematics is, in it's way, the poetry of logical ideas. - Albert Einstein.
The Following User Says Thank You to WillemJM For This Useful Post:
Johnxx2 (03-12-2015)
post #8 of 18 Old 03-06-2015, 06:16 PM

View Metz12's Photo Album My Photos
Mdf was the choice for the cabinet shop I used to work for. We used the exterior grade mdf.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-21-2015, 07:50 PM

View Bobthequill's Photo Album My Photos
Main problem with MDF is its affinity for water, which causes it to swell.

I have just replaced a bathroom vanity unit which had a hot water flex hose fail inside it.

This happened in the early hours and we woke to steam throughout the house.

The vanity unit was a total wreck and soaked until the plastic covering peeled.

Hot water flowed out the bathroom sliding door which, was also a factory made MDF job

and whoever trimmed it to fit did not reseal the lower edge, which swelled and jammed the door.

I had to use a pry bar to get into the bathroom. So, be prepared for a bit of work if you use MDF

in a wet situation. I have replaced the vanity unit and the door with the same, as other materials

are just not available. I did make sure however that the new unit and the door had extra coats of

sealing where ever it had been worked. We can but hope that is enough!

If I could find cabinets made from marine ply, I would be very happy to invest in them.

Bobthequill
post #10 of 18 Old 03-27-2015, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

View cburdick1's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks everyone. I went with a 1/2" birch ply panel. It turns out that I had some left over from a previous project!
post #11 of 18 Old 04-13-2015, 11:41 AM

View cristinaharn's Photo Album My Photos
I had to use a pry bar to get into the bathroom. So, be prepared for a bit of work if you use MDF.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-13-2015, 11:51 AM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburdick1 View Post
Thanks everyone. I went with a 1/2" birch ply panel. It turns out that I had some left over from a previous project!
I am a little late, but here are a couple of pics. I built some cabinets for my mom's tiny kitchen. I used mdf for the drawer front panels, and skimmed the side of the cabinet facing the refrigerator with 1/4 inch mdf. They turned out pretty nice and she loves the drawers (she is 87).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-12 15.11.49.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	149497  

Attached Images

post #13 of 18 Old 04-13-2015, 02:10 PM

View Masterjer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Stringer
I am a little late, but here are a couple of pics. I built some cabinets for my mom's tiny kitchen. I used mdf for the drawer front panels, and skimmed the side of the cabinet facing the refrigerator with 1/4 inch mdf. They turned out pretty nice and she loves the drawers (she is 87).
Nice MT Stringer. Quick question- on the drawer fronts, did you use 1/4" mdf as the panel in the rail/style grooves? If so, does that seem thick enough to support the drawer pulls? The cabinets look great btw.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-13-2015, 05:23 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterjer View Post
Nice MT Stringer. Quick question- on the drawer fronts, did you use 1/4" mdf as the panel in the rail/style grooves? If so, does that seem thick enough to support the drawer pulls? The cabinets look great btw.
Thanks. After thinking about it, I realized that I used 1/2 inch and cut the back a little (rabbet) so the panel would fit in the cope and stick.

The drawer pulls are fastened through the mdf and the front of the drawer.

The drawers are built like this picture of our buffet drawer. Basic drawer box with the front attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-11 15.50.09.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	149577  

Last edited by MT Stringer; 04-13-2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Added info.
The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
Masterjer (04-13-2015)
post #15 of 18 Old 05-04-2015, 04:30 AM

View micheal1's Photo Album My Photos
I built my entire kitchen using melamine caucuses. Then faced everything with different hard woods. We painted the cabinets white so it work fine.

Melamine is water resistant and super hard. The exterior white coating is tough to drill though even.
post #16 of 18 Old 05-04-2015, 04:34 AM

View micheal1's Photo Album My Photos
Melamine and mixed hard wood face frames and full over lay shaker doors.
Attached Images

post #17 of 18 Old 05-05-2015, 12:24 PM

View Scinzon's Photo Album My Photos
Melamine is pretty much the standard for kitchens and bathrooms in my country and probably most of the E.U but a local furniture maker once told me that if you build something to last, you should use Sea Plywood, which resists water and is more sturdy than all the Melamines and MDFs. Of course you will seal it thoroughly as an extra reinforcement.

It comes in veneers too.

Anyone tried it?
post #18 of 18 Old 05-09-2015, 09:37 AM

View smithbrother's Photo Album My Photos
We call it MARINE PLYWOOD. I have used it when making a boat.

Dale in Indy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode