Panel Cap angle in wainscoting - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 06-13-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
sim

View sim's Photo Album My Photos
Panel Cap angle in wainscoting

I do basic work around house (honey do's) but never really had to deal with angles (especially panel caps).
I have installed the stiles/rails (everything is square) but I cannot seem to find angle at which I should cut the panel cap to make it fit. Please refer to attached images for details and molding profile.

I do have a Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-13-2016, 10:03 PM

View asevereid's Photo Album My Photos
No shame in asking...
Of you have some scrap of your stile material, use it for a backer on your saw fence. Then when you cut your 45's, they'll be cut in the same position that you would apply them.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-13-2016, 10:27 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What I usually do is cut a strip of wood 3/4"x3/4" and lay it on the miter box to sit one side of the molding up on and cut the trim on a 45.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-13-2016, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
sim

Thanks a lot! sorry it is little hard for me to visualize this. You mean to say cut a scrap piece at 45 and then lay the molding next to it and then cut the molding ( i attached a detailed pic)....that will be like 45 again?

Thanks again for help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1996 1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	243610  

post #5 of 8 Old 06-13-2016, 11:45 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
If you can get the molding into the position it will sit in the wainscoting then all you should need to do is cut it at a 45 degree angle.

The molding is sitting on the frame of the wainscot and on the panel too. So what you need to do is cut it in this position in the miter saw. So you need to place a pc of wood the same thickness as the panel to the top of the frame depth. The all you would need to do is cut at a 45.

Very simple.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #6 of 8 Old 06-13-2016, 11:58 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
Thanks a lot! sorry it is little hard for me to visualize this. You mean to say cut a scrap piece at 45 and then lay the molding next to it and then cut the molding ( i attached a detailed pic)....that will be like 45 again?

Thanks again for help
What you are needing is a compound miter. I don't do enough of it to give you the two angles. With a compound miter you tilt the blade over on an angle while turning the saw left or right to make the cuts. The molding would just lay flat. what I proposed is sitting a piece of 3/4" wood against the fence of the saw to hold the molding on an angle just like it would go on the wall. Then turn the saw 45 degrees left or right to make the miters.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-14-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
sim

Thanks a lot. This worked :). I spent almost 2 hours, lots of molding, twisted and turned my saw in every direction and almost lost a finger in the process......and it was simple all along.

Thanks all
post #8 of 8 Old 06-14-2016, 10:48 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Yep, simple 45's are better and faster for us non trim carpenters. I never cut compound miters for trim or mouldings. I just use 22.5° or 45°, and place it on the miter saw how it will go on the wall, ceiling, etc..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode