oversized face frame or trim - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 06-20-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

View tiksi's Photo Album My Photos
oversized face frame or trim

I'm brand new to woodworking but have started to build cabinets/closet in a knee-wall. It's almost 24' long and so far I have 2 questions I can't find the answer to:

1. Should I make a pre-assembled face frame or treat the front of it like trim, and nail each piece to the wall as I go? If face frame is the best way to go - should I use pocket hole screws? dowels? biscuits?

2. Since it is as long as 24' (feet) how should I join the bottom and top piece of the face frame / trim? The floor is VERY uneven! (over 2 inch dips) so I'll have to scribe that piece. Do I assemble a 24' board before I start scribing or can I piece it together afterwards? And what type of joint would be the easiest to accomplish for someone with very limited skills...?

Thanks for any help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

If you could be more specific as to what you want to do and what is existing. You said the opening is 24' long, how deep and how high? How are the cabinets to be configured as to the total opening? A rough sketch would help...even a freehand pencil one.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-20-2009, 07:49 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
I think I'd start with a 4" wide board for the bottom rail. A 24' one may be hard to come by, though. Lets assume you use 3 ea. 8' pieces.
Lay them out on the floor as they will be when assembled. Do the scribe and cut/sand.

Take the pieces and assemble the entire face frame with pocket screws.

If it were me, I would just make 3 separate 8' long face frames with pocket screws, scribing the bottoms as above. Then screw them together at their butting stiles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Cabinetmaker

View skymaster's Photo Album My Photos
make a ladder base scribed to the floor then just make all of your faceframed cabinets nice and square just set em on the pre attached base,screw em down done
post #5 of 9 Old 06-20-2009, 11:20 PM

View clampman's Photo Album My Photos
I did the same thing in an upstairs bedroom in a 90 year old cape that my ex wound up with which also had floors like the ocean.

What I did was remove the plaster and build the drawer boxes so they extended into the room about 4 inches more than the wall. Then I used a furniture base - ran the stiles to the floor in 4 places - and recessed a toe kick so that the bottom rail line ran straight. The toe kick was stained the same color as the floor, the cabinet was white.

I pocket screwed the face frame together. I also ran trim around the perimeter of the built-in.

Cheers,
Jim

Experience is something you get only just right after you needed it.
http://www.miterclamp.com

Last edited by clampman; 06-20-2009 at 11:24 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-21-2009, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

here's a picture

Thanks for your guys' replies. Here is a picture of it. (Couldn't fit it all though) The cabinets/boxes are made of 1/2" MDF.

So I should definitely pre-assemble some sort of face frame rather than nail the moulding/trim up one piece at a time?

Thanks!

-silver
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0053.jpg
Views:	4851
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	9508  

post #7 of 9 Old 06-21-2009, 04:11 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiksi View Post
Thanks for your guys' replies. Here is a picture of it. (Couldn't fit it all though) The cabinets/boxes are made of 1/2" MDF.

So I should definitely pre-assemble some sort of face frame rather than nail the moulding/trim up one piece at a time?

Thanks!

-silver

It looks like you've already installed all the boxes. At this point, one of the choices (and maybe the easiest) would be to use a hand block sander (sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood) and flatten the joining cabinet ends and leading edges all around. Then contact cement the pieces to the front edges.

If you have flat edges to start with, solvent based contact cement will hold very well. Start at one end and just put them on like an ongoing puzzle.

If you prefer to use yellow glue, you can drive into the front edges 4d finish nails (keep them straight), and snip off the length on a sharp angle to protrude about 1/4". Then, apply a thin layer of glue and use a block and hammer and tap the FF pieces onto the front edges.

Or, if you're painting, just nail them on to the front edges, and seat the head with a nail set, and fill and sand. You could do this with a finished wood (natural or stained) FF and use a matched fill. I would not use pocket screws or biscuits. If you need to tie the rails to the edges of the stiles, drill a small pilot hole on an angle from either the top or bottom or both of the rail into the stile, to drive in a finish nail. Seat the head with a nail set.

Making individual FF's or large sections of FF would also work, but would be more labor intensive. If you choose to go that way, HERE is a thread that might be helpful.

post #8 of 9 Old 06-21-2009, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Smile Thank you!!

Thanks a lot guys for all your help!!

I think I've decided to attempt cabinetman's method of nailing up one piece at a time since I'll be painting it all anyway. So I'll start with scribing the baseboards and get those level on top, cut all the stiles to length (some will probably have to be ripped as well) and do the top horizontal piece last.... Hopefully I'll get the seams somewhat flush...

Thank you!!
post #9 of 9 Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 PM

View nateatcpo's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like you have your answer already, but be sure to use plenty of glue. assemble similar to Stile and rail, and you may want to pocket screw the stiles to the rails to keep everything looking good for years to come.

Tags
built-in, face frame, joint, pocket screws, trim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode