Newbie Here. Question about Drawer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

View gregt848's Photo Album My Photos
Newbie Here. Question about Drawer

Hello,
I recently got into woodworking and have been starting to do small projects. My latest project was to built a built-in three tier drawer next to the stove to better utilize the space. The drawer came out great, but now I have a question about the drawer face. What kind of wood and thickness do you reccommend? I am simply going to rout a round-over and paint it white to match the existing cabinets. Do I use a plywood like I did for the actual drawer? Sorry for the newbie question, but like I mentioned, I am just learning/beginning.
Thanks,greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Chief pencil holder

View scribbles's Photo Album My Photos
If you are going to paint it use 3/4 poplar, you can use MDF but it will never hold up.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-03-2009, 07:42 PM

View Lefthanded's Photo Album My Photos
Anything will work!

greg...Use anything you want!!if it's ply just fill the edges with spackle or something, let it dry, sand it! Prime then paint...you done. 3/4" thick will work. Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Greg,
I would go with the poplar too, just for the ease and quickness. Cut it to size, route the edge, sand it, paint it. Eliminated the filling. If you are only making the three fronts, that's probably less then an 8' piece, shouldn't cost you much.
Mike Hawkins
post #5 of 6 Old 04-04-2009, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

View gregt848's Photo Album My Photos
Great, Thank You! Poplar it is. I is just actually one continuous draw front that has three drawers. Similar to those roll out cabinets, but I changed it up a little. Narrow, tall, deep space next to the stove needed to be better utilized. What size round over should I use?
post #6 of 6 Old 04-04-2009, 10:50 AM

View AZ Termite's Photo Album My Photos
If the rest of your cabinet drawers are rounded over match it. If they aren't I would use 3/8" or 1/2". Its all about what looks good to you.

Assumption is the mother of all foul -ups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode