Need tips on attaching drawer front - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By epicfail48

post #1 of 11 Old 07-15-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
KWinch

View kwiinch's Photo Album My Photos
Need tips on attaching drawer front

I'm replacing doors and drawer fronts on my daughters kitchen cabinets. The counter tops have not been removed. I'm looking for tips on how to align the new drawer fronts to the drawer unit while keeping them parallel and plumb with the door below. With the counter top still on I can't use clamps to hold them on temporarily and just measuring then screwing them on out of the unit is hit or miss at best. I was thinking double sided tape but I doubt if that will hold them in place accurately enough to shoot screws in them.

Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-15-2017, 03:20 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Double sided tape will work surprisingly well. Look for carpet tape, that stuffs sticky enough you almost wouldn't need the screws. Hot glue also works well
Kerrys likes this.

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #3 of 11 Old 07-15-2017, 04:05 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I have also used double sided tape for that purpose. If you want, when you pull the drawer out put of a clamp just to be sure.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-15-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
KWinch

After thinking about it I wonder if this would work: Drill holes in the inner drawer front. Then shoot screws through those tight fitting holes such that they stick out just enough to touch the drawer front. When I have it aligned like I want I'll tap the front with a rubber mallet to mark where to drill the holes in the front. Then screw the 2 together outside of the unit. How would that work compared to tape?

Last edited by kwiinch; 07-15-2017 at 05:49 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-15-2017, 07:27 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiinch View Post
After thinking about it I wonder if this would work: Drill holes in the inner drawer front. Then shoot screws through those tight fitting holes such that they stick out just enough to touch the drawer front. When I have it aligned like I want I'll tap the front with a rubber mallet to mark where to drill the holes in the front. Then screw the 2 together outside of the unit. How would that work compared to tape?
It'd work, but its a lot more work when compared to a strip of tape

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
post #6 of 11 Old 07-16-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
KWinch

Double sided carpet seaming tape worked great. Thanks all
post #7 of 11 Old 07-16-2017, 08:28 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I have also tried that. The tape works better.

George
post #8 of 11 Old 07-21-2017, 09:33 PM

View simpleman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
We do this all the time on installs when we run out of double sided tape, it works great. If you make up thin little chip spacers for under the drawer front and the sides its pretty much fool proof.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-09-2017, 04:15 PM

View sancho's Photo Album My Photos
Couple of dabs of hot melt glue
post #10 of 11 Old 11-11-2017, 05:17 AM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I’ve seen cabinets where they allowed some adjustability for the drawer front by making the hole in the drawer a good bit bigger than the screw. This “sloppiness” allowed the drawer front to be moved around for alignment. It used washer head screws to hide the big hole.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-11-2017, 06:53 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
I'm replacing doors and drawer fronts on my daughters kitchen cabinets. The counter tops have not been removed. I'm looking for tips on how to align the new drawer fronts to the drawer unit while keeping them parallel and plumb with the door below. With the counter top still on I can't use clamps to hold them on temporarily and just measuring then screwing them on out of the unit is hit or miss at best. I was thinking double sided tape but I doubt if that will hold them in place accurately enough to shoot screws in them.

Any tips?
You do that on your work bench. I put all the fronts on the drawer boxes before the drawers are put in the cabinet. Since you have the boxes installed open the drawer and measure the distance between the bottom of the drawer box and the opening. It's probably 1/8". If you want the front to overlay 1/2" then lay the front face down on your work bench and measure 5/8" between the bottom of the box and the bottom of the front. Then measure how much it overhangs the box on each side and make it equal on both sides. Then if you have a nail gun or stapler put a couple staples into it on the underside where it doesn't show to temporarally hold the front to the box. Then turn it around to where you can access the inside and put a couple 1" screws into it toward the sides so they won't be in the way of the drawer pull or handle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode