need pocket hole advice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

View cuneiform's Photo Album My Photos
need pocket hole advice

i am half way through a kitchen cabinet set and so far have hidden all the joinery. i was wondering if it is acceptable or "ok" to have pocket hole screwholes visible on the bottom of the wall hung cabinets. the visible pocket holes would be to attach the bottom of the face frames to the carcases. otherwise i would have to biscuit all the bottoms which, to me, would be a pain in the arse.

the cabinets have full inset doors with beaded maple faceframes, birch plywood carcases and maple faceframes, lacquered white, with glass window doors.

the cabs also will have undercabinet lighting.

it seems to me that nobody will ever put their head under there so why bother plugging the holes? but i am asking what other people do for a "high end" custom cabinet set?

thanks,
drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 01:41 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuneiform View Post
i am half way through a kitchen cabinet set and so far have hidden all the joinery. i was wondering if it is acceptable or "ok" to have pocket hole screwholes visible on the bottom of the wall hung cabinets. the visible pocket holes would be to attach the bottom of the face frames to the carcases. otherwise i would have to biscuit all the bottoms which, to me, would be a pain in the arse.

the cabinets have full inset doors with beaded maple faceframes, birch plywood carcases and maple faceframes, lacquered white, with glass window doors.

it seems to me that nobody will ever put their head under there so why bother plugging the holes? but i am asking what other people do for a "high end" custom cabinet set?

thanks,
drew

Hi drew - Well, I guess they're your cabinets so it's really up to what's acceptable to you.
Personally, I don't care for the look of pockets, plugged or otherwise. I suppose plugged and painted wouldn't bother me but I think they detract from the overall look. Just my tuppence
post #3 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 04:04 AM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:

thanks,
drew
Hi Drew,
I would say go ahead. Since you are going to have under cab lighting install light rail trim along the bottom of the upper cabs. You will not see any pocket screws. They will be up under the recess in the bottom. To see them you would have to stick your head up under there on purpose. Under normal use they would not be seen. You would not even have to plug them up if you don't want to.

The cabs below were constructed with tongue & groove & pocket screws. Open them up & you cannot see any pocket screws. Even the two cabs with glass doors & shelf on end are stained on inside & you can not see any pocket screws in the construction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fernview Kitchen 003 Large Web view.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	25048  

Attached Images

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 04:11 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
the visible pocket holes would be to attach the bottom of the face frames to the carcases. otherwise i would have to biscuit all the bottoms which, to me, would be a pain in the arse.

thanks,
drew
Face frames can be just glued and clamped to the case leading edge. People do look under upper cabinets, and might even clean under there. They are visible if dining seating is anywhere near the kitchen. If you call them "high end" custom cabinets, they should be constructed that way. Sorry if I offend anyone, but we all have our own opinions on what constitutes "custom", and "high end".

post #5 of 21 Old 06-03-2011, 06:06 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Yeah, I would fill the holes. Even cleaning with a rag will catch on splinters. You'll feel better about it.

Harrison, at your service!
post #6 of 21 Old 06-06-2011, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses. Ya, after thinking about it, I don't think I'd be comfortable with leaving the holes exposed. Even if no-one sticks their head under there, I'd still know they're there.

Thanks for the advice.
post #7 of 21 Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. Ya, after thinking about it, I don't think I'd be comfortable with leaving the holes exposed. Even if no-one sticks their head under there, I'd still know they're there.

Thanks for the advice.
Don't forget the finished pictures when they are done

James
Whittier, CA.

Last edited by jlord; 06-06-2011 at 12:46 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

almost done

heres a pic of one of the uppers. i mentioned earlier in the thread i am spraying white lacquer. also, the tall face frame on top will be covered by crown moulding.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to cuneiform For This Useful Post:
H. A. S. (07-08-2011)
post #9 of 21 Old 06-09-2011, 11:22 AM

View JohnK007's Photo Album My Photos
Good looking cabinet, Drew. That will be really sharp when painted
post #10 of 21 Old 06-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Scotty D

View mdntrdr's Photo Album My Photos
I like the inset doors with beaded FF.

Very nice!

Scott
OH, wait a minute ............Yep!.............That's what he said!

"Like" us on facebook
www.ScottyDsWoodworks.com
Watch Our YouTube Video
post #11 of 21 Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 PM

The cabinet came out very nice Drew I like the style.

James
Whittier, CA.

post #12 of 21 Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 PM

View Woodenhorse's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice!

Those who say it cannot be done should stay out of the way of the people doing it.
post #13 of 21 Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
I do it all the time. You can't see it unless you really try.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #14 of 21 Old 07-07-2011, 01:09 PM

View clampman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
otherwise i would have to biscuit all the bottoms which, to me, would be a pain in the arse.
There are other options as well. One is to simply use glue for the bottom rail and forget both pocket screws and biscuits.

Another would be to put in a separate bottom, though that would be far more work than simply clamping the bottom rail.

PS: Sorry Cabinetman, I missed your post somehow. I don't understand why so many people think glue is nothing more than icing.

Cheers,
Jim

Experience is something you get only just right after you needed it.
http://www.miterclamp.com

Last edited by clampman; 07-07-2011 at 01:22 PM.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-08-2011, 03:43 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
Very nice cabinet!

Harrison, at your service!
post #16 of 21 Old 07-13-2011, 09:33 PM

View Dave R's Photo Album My Photos
If I want to hide the pocket screws on the bottom of the cabinet I'll add a 1/4 ply skin. Just glue it on and you can pin nail it also. I make my built-ins with the face frame 1-1/2" or so longer on the bottom to be able to add the finished skin and hide lighting.
Dave

Check out http://www.youtube.com/user/DaveReinholdTV?feature=mhee for tool reviews, new ones added weekly...
post #17 of 21 Old 07-15-2011, 10:49 AM

View Tom5151's Photo Album My Photos
IMO you will eventually not even think about the fact that the pocket holes are there. I just made some cabs and attached the FF that way and you cannot see them unless you intentionlly stick you head up under there and look at them. Even if you are sitting in a chair directly in front of them you still can't see them. As someone has said, you could also choose to just forget the pocket holes on the bottom and just glue and clamp there.
post #18 of 21 Old 07-15-2011, 12:16 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
sorry, but i can't figure out where you are talking about. i ph the face frame members together, on the back side of course. but sounds like you are going perpindicular to the face frame plane, back into the carcass? is there enough ff thickness to drill that and have it work? how thick is your ff? secial ph jig?

high end imho is not having holes.
post #19 of 21 Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

looks like i started a big debate here.

i'm surprised the thread is still going. i ended up gluing the face frames on the bottom -- no pocketholes. i do like that better.

the idea of putting 1/4 inch ply across the bottoms is really cool. i'll probably do that next time. scribed to the wall that would ensure a totally smooth, seam-free bottom. thanks!

pictures tomorrow; i'm doing touch up on the lacquer.

thanks for all the responses,
drew
post #20 of 21 Old 07-28-2011, 02:10 PM

View clampman's Photo Album My Photos
Tim,

A lot of people run pocket holes through the plywood and screw into the backs of the face frames.

I prefer to glue faceframes onto the carcases before the backs go on, making it very easy to clamp them and to clean glue squeezeout.

Cheers,
Jim

Experience is something you get only just right after you needed it.
http://www.miterclamp.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode