Need Help and ideas...closet shelf design question using easy track - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 11-14-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

View fcmcommw's Photo Album My Photos
Need Help and ideas...closet shelf design question using easy track

I'm building custom closet shelves/drawers for my wife using my own lumber and was thinking about how to attach such a system to the wall. For example, in my foyer closet. Most of these closet systems are hundreds of dollars but I can put these together in a few hours with well placed pocket holes and or dados for a lot less. My problem is hanging the thing.

I have researched closet systems and like the easy track idea that most of these closet systems use which is bascially the shelves have slot cut on an angle in the back of the shelf and the shelf system simply hangs on the track. Easy and simple.

I could buy the track online for a couple of bucks but I would need to cut an angle into the back of the shelving system so they would hang on the steel track. Any ideas on the best way I could do this? Router table or saw? I would like to have a jig setup and make this process as repeatable as possible.

Or are there better ideas on how to attach a shelving system like this to the wall?

Thoughts are greatly appreciated.

- Mark

Last edited by fcmcommw; 11-14-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
If you are making the cabinets, what you are referring to is called a "french cleat". It's basically two pieces of wood that have a 45 and the cabinet member slips over and down on the wall member.

In essence, one piece of wood or plywood can be passed through the table saw set on a 45 bevel, which will give both sections.

Or, since the wall member has to be screwed to the wall, and the cabinet member is screwed to the cabinet, why not just install a hang rail in the cabinet that you screw to the wall. With the french cleat, you need room above to get the cabinet over the cleat, and then it drops, and seats. With a cabinet hang rail, the cabinet can be mounted right to the ceiling if necessary.

One advantage to the cleat system is that it's easier for one person to install a cabinet.

post #3 of 3 Old 11-15-2011, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

View fcmcommw's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the illustration cabinetman.

The reason of not going with just a simple hang rail on the back of the cabinet is these are for closets for my sons room and for my foyer. Here is my issue for both my rooms. The closet doors are bi-fold doors that are standard height. However, the ceiling in the closet is something like 96"

I need to make sure the shelves/cabinets are low enough to be able to use baskets or something on top of them. If I butt them all the way to the ceiling then you wouldnt be able to get into them due to the small partition between the top of the door and the ceiling.

as for the hangrail would I just screw through the inside of the cabinet through the hangrail into the wall I want to make sure I dont see the screws from the inside so I guess careful consideration needs to take happen on placement of screws right?

Thanks again for the help. I will post pictures of before and after once I'm done.

- Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode