Need help with how to build this - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Saw Dust Rules

post #1 of 11 Old 08-10-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

View Kristensawdust's Photo Album My Photos
Need help with how to build this

I am remodeling some bannisters in my beach house. I am adding a pic of what I want to do with the post. Then a picture of my bannister. I want to build this post up chunkier. My process would go something like this: build a 3 sided box and trim it out to slip over original post, then I know I will have to finish the post on the 3 rd interior side. The question is how do I maneuver around the handrail and it’s shape on the inside panel to finish the post?? Could I create a tight opening around it and caulk it? Hope I am describing this accurately... thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	78427996-2E13-4F7E-9705-8ECA07F65797_1533922437739.png
Views:	134
Size:	4.65 MB
ID:	364730  

Name:	03FDA058-ECE6-4F7E-92AB-4D828CF4A3D4_1533922453671.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	364732  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-10-2018, 01:48 PM

View hawkeye10's Photo Album My Photos
I think you need to remove the old post and install the one you want. Doing it the way your talking about is almost impossible. Maybe someone will have a better idea than me. I hope so.

Don in Murfreesboro, TN.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-10-2018, 02:27 PM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
I would build the new post first, then remove the old one and fasten the new one. There is no sense wrapping the old post in my opinion.

I would leave off all the trim from the new post until it is mounted. That way you can through drill and lag it to the existing railing. After it is sturdily mounted, I would add all the trim and paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-10-2018, 02:29 PM

View Mikhail2400's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
I think you need to remove the old post and install the one you want. Doing it the way your talking about is almost impossible. Maybe someone will have a better idea than me. I hope so.

Ditto^^^^ Is there some reason you cant go ahead and remove the existing post?

Mike
Everything i build comes with a redneck warranty. If it breaks you get to keep both pieces.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-10-2018, 04:02 PM

View The Colonel's Photo Album My Photos
Sometimes the fastest way takes longer. Consider just knocking out the old newell and installing a new one in its stead.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-10-2018, 06:26 PM

View Saw Dust Rules's Photo Album My Photos
My Experience and Recommendation

I had a similar project a few years ago. Our stairs were very dated - pink carpet, off white railings, only hardwood on the treads. Attached are the photos of the project. The carpet had to go. I laid oak flooring on the landings and upstairs hallway. The real challenge was what to do with the odd hand rail and metal balusters and newel posts. Cleaver as I am I decided to strip and paint the metal railing black, install new oak handrails and for the pièce de résistance I would make oak box newel posts to wrap the vertical metal posts, 3 total. Easy, right? It took every skill and piece of knowledge I could apply to make this work and look like it was an original. Mitered all the long corners with splines on the miters corners for strength and a perfectly matching two sided back piece to enclose the metal post which went throughout a tight fitting notch on both back pieces. It came out great but it was quite a challenge!

My recommendation... replace your newel posts! Build your own or buy them pre made. Your sanity is worth it!

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stairs - Before.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	364746  

Name:	Stairs - Railings & Floor.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	364748  

Name:	Stairs - Wrapped Newel Posts.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	309.6 KB
ID:	364750  

Alchymist and Vasilios like this.

Saw Dust Rules

“In God we trust. All others bring data.” - W.E. Deming

Dave in Rochester, NY
post #7 of 11 Old 08-12-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

View Kristensawdust's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you to everyone, I was afraid I would have to replace it then resecure it. Ugh- the convincing I needed just to get my husband to let me paint it! I’ll need to dismantle.... and do some very tight 45 miters. I’m up for the challenge though in a few weeks!
post #8 of 11 Old 08-13-2018, 12:46 AM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with the previous comments, remove the old post. When you build the new post if it is going to be painted pick up some water putty to fill any joints that don't fit as good as they should. Once the putty dries it can be sanded and everything will look absolutely perfect.

http://www.waterputty.com

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #9 of 11 Old 08-13-2018, 01:31 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
Kreg have a video on this.
johnep
post #10 of 11 Old 08-13-2018, 09:01 AM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
If you really want to wrap it then do the 3 sides as you described. For the 4th (handrail) side get a piece of handrail the same size as what you have. Use it as a template and route out its profile in the correct position on the 4th side. Make a fine cut along it's bottom edge so that the pieces can fit around the handrail. Fill the seam.
As the others have said this process is a bit of work but doable. Removing the old newel and securing the new one could be problematic depending on how the newel is attached.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-24-2018, 05:10 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
I think you could get away with wrapping the post you have, but I think it would be best to remove the handrail and re-fit it to the new post.

By the way, if you’re building it for a beach house, shouldn’t you really build this one?!?? 😉
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7D6D7D19-9F13-4EC4-87B2-DF9A38595BC6_1535145020869.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	360.7 KB
ID:	365462  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode