Measuring Crown Molding - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

View brunetmj's Photo Album My Photos
Measuring Crown Molding

Hi everyone new to this forum. I have a very elementary question concerning how to measure a crown molding length. I have read considerably on the topic but web searching turns up nothing on my question.
How do you measure a proper length of crown molding before making the various cuts? Say I have a short wall of 4 ft. that will require two inside corners. Do I cut a 4 ft length of molding and then make the angle cuts?
In short how to cut the length you need before cutting angles.
Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-23-2010, 09:02 PM

View Big Dave's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to Big Dave
You can precut it an inch long or so for a piece that butts into corners but if it wraps around corners you'll need to add about 4 inches to allow for that.

I just cut the pieces as I need them and don't precut to rough length unless I'm cutting a short piece off of a long piece that's hard to handle.

Do one thing at a time, do it well, then move on.
www.bigdaveswoodworks.com
post #3 of 7 Old 01-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Measure the inside dimension and cut it an 1/8" over. Trim until it fits. Outside corners I will usually measure from the crown lower edge (coping) and to the outside corner and add an 1/8 inch. Then cut the other side of the miter and trim until they fit. Noticing if the corner is an actual 90 angle or not. More than likely the corner of a wall is not going to be a 90 angle.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-24-2010, 06:37 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Measure the inside dimension and cut it an 1/8" over. Trim until it fits. Outside corners I will usually measure from the crown lower edge (coping) and to the outside corner and add an 1/8 inch. Then cut the other side of the miter and trim until they fit. Noticing if the corner is an actual 90 angle or not. More than likely the corner of a wall is not going to be a 90 angle.
Yes!

G
post #5 of 7 Old 01-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
To get lengths right, like between two 90 degree outside corners, cut two sample pieces. Cut a 45 on the left one and a 45 on the right one. As they sit on the wall cut them both off at 90 degrees, 10" long. I picked 10" because it's an even number, and I'm just a simple guy.

Now, when you go to get a wall measurement, set the two pieces up so the miter closes up, and make a fine pencil mark on the straight end. From that mark to wherever the crown goes you can get a wall measurement from that corner by adding 10". If you do that on the other corner, you will have the dimension between marks that you can add 20" to.

You can cut the actual crown a bit heavy to fine tune the mitered fit. You can check the angle with the two 10" pieces to see if the 45 will work. If not adjust the angle.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-24-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

View brunetmj's Photo Album My Photos
Thank You

Thank you for all these replies. I guess my question was not as elementary as I thought. A lot of web sites devote a lot of time focused on how to cut the corners for crown with little mention on how to get correct lengths in the first place. For a real beginner like myself your information will be very helpful.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 AM
The Rebel

View Johnny Yuma's Photo Album My Photos
Lets say you have an inside-to-inside.... 4' 1 1/4".
If you are going to miter your corners (best way for a diy'er), then cut one end of your crown at 45 deg., hook and pull your tape from your fresh cut, mark the crown at 4' 1 1/4", swing your saw around and cut to your mark.

You might want to cut a little heavy and trim to fit.

couple tips...

*Don't force your pieces. If it is tight, trim it. With mitered corners a touch light is better then a touch heavy!
*Do your outside corners first
*When you put up a piece, only nail it in the middle. DON"T nail the ends.... say 2'-3', until you put up the next piece. This will allow you some 'wiggle' room when you put up your next piece.
* When cutting your corners, if you are not sure if your saw is pointing the right way, just remember... On an outside corner, the top of your crown will be longer then the bottom, and on an inside corner, the top will be shorter then the bottom.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Last edited by Johnny Yuma; 01-24-2010 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode