MDF and raised panel cutters - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 05-29-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

View Screw's Photo Album My Photos
MDF and raised panel cutters

Hey guys,

I've just started building my own doors, I've been sending them out for a year or two. I'm doing a job now that requires raised panel doors made from both MDF and oak (on separate pieces).

Well the panel cutter was pretty much useless on the oak after the MDF. I took it in to get sharpened and the guy told me that MDF is really tough on router bits - coats them with crap etc...

Is there any trick to making the blade useful again after cutting MDF with it or am I always going to have to get them sharpened afterwards?

Anyone else run across this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-29-2014, 10:42 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw View Post
Hey guys,

I've just started building my own doors, I've been sending them out for a year or two. I'm doing a job now that requires raised panel doors made from both MDF and oak (on separate pieces).

Well the panel cutter was pretty much useless on the oak after the MDF. I took it in to get sharpened and the guy told me that MDF is really tough on router bits - coats them with crap etc...

Is there any trick to making the blade useful again after cutting MDF with it or am I always going to have to get them sharpened afterwards?

Anyone else run across this?
It has more to do with MDF being abrasive than coating it. It just dulls the cutters faster than solid wood. If you are going to run MDF raised panels you probably should have several cutters so you can have some at the sharpening shop while you have some to use.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-30-2014, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
It has more to do with MDF being abrasive than coating it. It just dulls the cutters faster than solid wood. If you are going to run MDF raised panels you probably should have several cutters so you can have some at the sharpening shop while you have some to use.
Makes sense. How quickly do they dull when cutting MDF? Mine couldn't get through 3/4' oak without major chipping even taking 3 passes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-30-2014, 08:21 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
They get dull quicker than you would think, depending on the brand. The premium ones do seem to last longer, but whether it's enough to justify the extra cost is a personal judgement. You could try touching up the edge with a few strokes using a diamond hone, but it may not make much difference.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #5 of 13 Old 05-30-2014, 08:51 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw View Post
Makes sense. How quickly do they dull when cutting MDF? Mine couldn't get through 3/4' oak without major chipping even taking 3 passes.
I can't really answer that as I don't use carbide cutters and I don't shape very much MDF. I think it was about 25 years ago I made some molding out of MDF and pretty well rounded the edges of the knives. I just don't try anymore.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-30-2014, 09:24 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
I use a bit cheaper brand bit for MDF.. I have about 30 MDF panels out of a MLCS bit now but I doubt it will work very well on wood anymore. Will still do OK yet on MDF but the last pass needs to be a zero removal/strictly cleanup. I certainly wouldn't subject a Freud or other high end bit to the stuff. I also clean all the bits as soon as I remove them from the table. That gets the crud off before it has a chance to petrify. Seems to help with longevity. JMHO

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #7 of 13 Old 05-31-2014, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
I also clean all the bits as soon as I remove them from the table. That gets the crud off before it has a chance to petrify. Seems to help with longevity. JMHO
That's a good tip. I think I'll get a dedicated MDF cutter or just stop using the stuff. I don't like using it much and don't use it often, but this job is quite large (for me) and it helped me keep the total cost of the job down so they could keep their new wine cellar in the project . Worth the trade off :)
post #8 of 13 Old 06-10-2014, 01:22 AM

View ligyron's Photo Album My Photos
You guys are talking like MDF is cancer for tools. here in Alberta, almost EVERYTHING is mdf. trim, door jams, paint-grade mantles and coffered ceilings and shelving, and pretty much anywhere we have to build something custom. we sometimes use maple if the customer wants a natural wood look. is this not common everywhere?
post #9 of 13 Old 06-10-2014, 03:48 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ligyron View Post
You guys are talking like MDF is cancer for tools. here in Alberta, almost EVERYTHING is mdf. trim, door jams, paint-grade mantles and coffered ceilings and shelving, and pretty much anywhere we have to build something custom. we sometimes use maple if the customer wants a natural wood look. is this not common everywhere?
Just because its common doesn't not make it cancer. Cancer is pretty common come to think of it... At any rate, MDF is cheap and does some things a lot better than anything else, but there no getting around a few facts. Its finicky to glueup or drive screw, or any joinery that I know of, can be tricky to finish, and its hell on tools. I I've the stuff meself, but still, tool cancer
post #10 of 13 Old 06-27-2014, 10:30 PM

View ~WoodChuck~'s Photo Album My Photos
Use insert tooling
post #11 of 13 Old 06-28-2014, 08:18 AM

View J.C.'s Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WoodChuck~ View Post
Use insert tooling
Don't have anything to add other than, I'll 2nd that.

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley
post #12 of 13 Old 06-28-2014, 09:26 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WoodChuck~ View Post
Use insert tooling
I like insert tooling except I haven't found anywhere that sells the inserts in hobbyist quantities. I have a couple of Amana insert style router bits and the places I've looked have a minimum of 10 inserts per order... $70 worth or so.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #13 of 13 Old 06-28-2014, 10:13 AM
more bacon?

View Ttharp's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben
I like insert tooling except I haven't found anywhere that sells the inserts in hobbyist quantities. I have a couple of Amana insert style router bits and the places I've looked have a minimum of 10 inserts per order... $70 worth or so.
Sounds like a bargain versus buying new bits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode