Log Cabin wall moulding - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-13-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

View logcabinheadache's Photo Album My Photos
Question Log Cabin wall moulding

Am trying to come up with a way to make a pattern of the horizontal wall logs of my house, as they meet the drywall of the inside walls, so I can cut molding to coutour and block out light and noise from the next room. Have 9' ceilings, so pattern can be made in 2/3 sections, but can't think of anything that will mold then harden to be used as a pattern. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-14-2009, 08:34 AM
Not so new

View 12penny's Photo Album My Photos
scribe and cut with jigsaw?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-14-2009, 11:50 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Log Cabin,
Could you post some pics? I have seen guys route a groove in the logs to accept the drywall. If your studwalls are up already this wouldn't work to easily. You get a good scribing tool and use a piece of 1/4" luan for your pattern. Tack a strip (3-4" wide) on the wall up against your logs, set your scriber up and trace the pattern onto the luan. Cut it out on the bandsaw and you would have a pattern to work with.
Mike Hawkins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-24-2009, 07:12 AM

View JoshuaHoffman's Photo Album My Photos
Hi, True North Log Homes has a great book that includes many details that might help you. I don't work for them but have attended one of their workshops at a trade show and they are very knowledgable and consumer friendly [email protected]
Joshuastrees.net
post #5 of 7 Old 03-01-2009, 11:22 PM
Chief pencil holder

View scribbles's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Log Cabin,
Could you post some pics? I have seen guys route a groove in the logs to accept the drywall. If your studwalls are up already this wouldn't work to easily. You get a good scribing tool and use a piece of 1/4" luan for your pattern. Tack a strip (3-4" wide) on the wall up against your logs, set your scriber up and trace the pattern onto the luan. Cut it out on the bandsaw and you would have a pattern to work with.
Mike Hawkins

This I would do, get a good pattern, and carve away. You can also use heavy cardboard; and just cut with a sharp razorblade. You can usually find for free if you look around. Time and patience.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-28-2009, 08:37 AM

View lacKailey's Photo Album My Photos
If you are looking for quality custom log homes in the U.S, Canada or Europe, you should consider Brian Moore Log Homes. They build incredible houses.

Last edited by Leo G; 09-28-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Removed link -no advertising please
post #7 of 7 Old 09-28-2009, 08:44 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Sell him a new log home?

If you are looking for quality custom log homes in the U.S, Canada or Europe, you should consider Brian Moore Log Homes. They build incredible houses.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by Leo G; 10-29-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Removed link

Tags
finish carpentry, jigs, log cabin interior, patterns, trim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode