Landing Tread Issues - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 03-13-2011, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

View musicalmerlin's Photo Album My Photos
Landing Tread Issues

Hi all,

We had our house built for us 8 years ago. The upstairs hallway was originally carpeted but it is time to lay down hardwood flooring. The stairwell is open on one side at the top.

The carpenter decided to use 1/2" oak as a trim panel around the stairwell at the landing. He accordingly took a 1" tread and datoed half the tread to get a match with the trim panels on the floor upstairs. I'm not sure what he was thinking as the builder knew we were going to lay hardwood throughout the house eventually.

My question is: how do I safely blend my 3/4" flooring to this 1/2" trim? We had been planning on cutting out the tread and replacing with a thicker piece, blending with the rest of the trim around the landing, but that was before we re-measured and discovered the tread was actually 1" instead of 3/4". Well, actually I discovered after I had made the cut. I had double checked all the other measurements, but missed that one.

I don't want to use the transitions they sell with the flooring as I'm concerned it could constitute a tripping hazard, especially going down the stairs.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Pulling the rest of the trim around the landing has been thought of, but scrapped for now as that would mean pulling the handrail and all the newel posts, and reseating them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-13-2011, 07:48 PM

View tcleve4911's Photo Album My Photos
My first inclination from your description would be to mill a transition piece from full stock.

If I'm not picturing your situation correctly, please post a picture so we can all understand what you're dealing with.

Learning more about tools everyday
post #3 of 5 Old 03-13-2011, 09:01 PM
recently retired

View Keith Mathewson's Photo Album My Photos
And what is a "trim panel"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-13-2011, 09:32 PM

View JMC'sLT30's Photo Album My Photos
First of all Welcome to the forum.
Have you got the new flooring yet? If not I would suggest considering 1/2" glue down since obviously everything else upstairs is probably set for carpet which is usually 1/2". JMO
James

"IF IT'S TOO TOUGH FOR THEM, IT'S JUST RIGHT FOR ME"

Last edited by JMC'sLT30; 03-14-2011 at 08:21 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-14-2011, 06:45 PM
Buying the first round!

View LIHR's Photo Album My Photos
I believe he's calling the bottom rail or shoe the trim panel? But regardless what it is, the easiest solution is JMC's suggestion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode