Woodworking Talk banner

Landing Tread Issues

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  LIHR 
#1 ·
Hi all,

We had our house built for us 8 years ago. The upstairs hallway was originally carpeted but it is time to lay down hardwood flooring. The stairwell is open on one side at the top.

The carpenter decided to use 1/2" oak as a trim panel around the stairwell at the landing. He accordingly took a 1" tread and datoed half the tread to get a match with the trim panels on the floor upstairs. I'm not sure what he was thinking as the builder knew we were going to lay hardwood throughout the house eventually.

My question is: how do I safely blend my 3/4" flooring to this 1/2" trim? We had been planning on cutting out the tread and replacing with a thicker piece, blending with the rest of the trim around the landing, but that was before we re-measured and discovered the tread was actually 1" instead of 3/4". Well, actually I discovered after I had made the cut. I had double checked all the other measurements, but missed that one. :censored:

I don't want to use the transitions they sell with the flooring as I'm concerned it could constitute a tripping hazard, especially going down the stairs.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Pulling the rest of the trim around the landing has been thought of, but scrapped for now as that would mean pulling the handrail and all the newel posts, and reseating them.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.