Kitchen Cabinet Drawer Fronts - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 08-01-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
Kitchen Cabinet Drawer Fronts

So my cabinet build project continues with 8 cabinets almost ready to be installed. Just need to attach the doors and drawer fronts. The drawer boxes are already installed into the cabinets.

Concerning the drawer fronts, what is the recommended way for attaching to the drawer box? I'm thinking I can use double sided tape to temporarily hold the fronts in place and in alignment. But at that point is it just a matter of drilling the holes for the handle and let those screws hold it together?

Thanks,
Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-01-2018, 10:15 PM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
I drill 3/16" holes through the front of the drawer body and then I use 1" truss head (or washer head) phillips screws to secure the face to the drawer body. How many? That depends on the size and style of the drawer. Smaller upper drawers get two screws, each about 1"+ from the inner side. Large drawers get 4 screws. Really large drawers, like 30" or wider, will get 6 screws, the extra 2 going in the center. Since I most often make frame and panel faces, the screws go into the rails. Then they also get the pulls. But sometimes people want the pulls along the top rail instead of in the center, so their screws don't amount to anything for holding the face on.

I'm sure others will have different methods.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-01-2018, 10:44 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-G View Post
So my cabinet build project continues with 8 cabinets almost ready to be installed. Just need to attach the doors and drawer fronts. The drawer boxes are already installed into the cabinets.

Concerning the drawer fronts, what is the recommended way for attaching to the drawer box? I'm thinking I can use double sided tape to temporarily hold the fronts in place and in alignment. But at that point is it just a matter of drilling the holes for the handle and let those screws hold it together?

Thanks,
Tom.
Double sided tape would be alright to get the fronts aliened. Then put a couple screws into the front from inside the drawer. I normally do it by measurements and use staples to hold the front in place until I can put screws in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-02-2018, 09:12 AM

View Packard's Photo Album My Photos
I drive in screws from the inside of the box so that the points show through. I press the drawer front in place and it makes a mark on the front. I drill pilot holes (not through and through) and attach the fronts. Then the handles are drilled and screwed.

Washer head screws work well: https://www.nailplant.com/v/vspfiles...72303844-2.jpg
post #5 of 5 Old 08-03-2018, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

View Tom-G's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you so much for the replies. Makes sense to screw the boxes and fronts together.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode