gdc

View gdc's Photo Album My Photos
Question kerf size of blades

does anyone have an opinion on thick kerf saw blades
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 08:42 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
For clarity, do mean circular table saw/miter saw blades?
post #3 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
gdc

miter saw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
gdc

hi knotscott I just saw your post fron 10-2013 about different size kerf blades im looking at amana miter saw blades I have always liked thick kerf blades
post #5 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 09:18 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc View Post
miter saw
I use a full kerf on the 12" and a thin kerf on the 10". Lotsa discussion on saws and blades in the stickies under Power tools.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #6 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 11:37 AM

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
I use a full kerf on the 12" and a thin kerf on the 10". Lotsa discussion on saws and blades in the stickies under Power tools.
John raises an important point....the wider span of a 12" blades exaggerates the weakness of a thin kerf blade. I'm a fan of good 10" thin kerf blades on a smaller table saw. Miter saws do only crosscuts, which require less power, so there's less incentive to use a TK with a miter saw....and there's good incentive to use full kerf for a 12" miter saw.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 12:54 PM

View Adillo303's Photo Album My Photos
I don't have any 12" equipment. All my 10" blades (table & miter) are thin kerf Forrest blades. I pick 'em up at their factory.

My opinion, Forrest blades are best.

I can also drop blades off to be sharpened and rebuilt.

Thank You

Andy
post #8 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Only time I use thin kerf is when I'm trying to make a board go farther. Usually on a table saw. Miter saws need normal kerf unless it's an 8" or smaller.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #9 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 04:19 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Yes. The width of the cut they make is wider than for narrow kerf blades.

What kind of opinion do you want?

George
post #10 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
gdc

Thumbs up

I have always found that a wide kerf made a better cut. all I have had to go on is my own experience. the opinions of everyone that I have read makes sense to me between miter and table saws with the blade diameter in mind. it seems to me that when thin kerf blades became popular like everything else it became the end all and that's all that was available.
post #11 of 22 Old 06-28-2014, 10:38 PM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
You link to a special blade for an arrow cutting machine for archery. There are several different machines and they take specific blade diameter sizes. The type of blade may depend on the material, wood, carbon fiber, aluminum. You might want to contact Apple Archery to see what they recommend for you.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-04-2014, 02:01 AM
The Stair Guy

View Tite-n-Right's Photo Album My Photos
I always use thick kerf for my precision trim work. I have them on ALL my saws (except my circular for some work). I would especially use it for a miter saw because as you cut, a thin kerf blade will bend away from your piece slightly. If you have a slide saw you can cut forward into the piece to avoid it but you risk splintering (and it can still move slightly). In short, use the thick kerf for your miter saw. And like Adillo303 said, Forrest blades are top notch, that's what I use on my saws.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-06-2014, 08:59 AM

From the link, the OP isn't asking about normal saw blades, he/she is asking about a special blade for an arrow making machine. The blades have no teeth, they are small abrasive blades, similar to masonry blades but only 3" - 4" in diameter.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-06-2014, 02:59 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Huh?

Quote:
Quote:
miter saw
Quote:
hi knotscott I just saw your post fron 10-2013 about different size kerf blades im looking at amana miter saw blades I have always liked thick kerf blades
Quote:
I have always found that a wide kerf made a better cut. all I have had to go on is my own experience. the opinions of everyone that I have read makes sense to me between miter and table saws with the blade diameter in mind. it seems to me that when thin kerf blades became popular like everything else it became the end all and that's all that was available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer1 View Post
You link to a special blade for an arrow cutting machine for archery. There are several different machines and they take specific blade diameter sizes. The type of blade may depend on the material, wood, carbon fiber, aluminum. You might want to contact Apple Archery to see what they recommend for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer1 View Post
From the link, the OP isn't asking about normal saw blades, he/she is asking about a special blade for an arrow making machine. The blades have no teeth, they are small abrasive blades, similar to masonry blades but only 3" - 4" in diameter.
Am I the only one who can't follow this thread?

There are no links posted by the OP AFAICT.

There is no mention of arrows or archery ...AFAICT.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
FrankC (07-06-2014)
post #15 of 22 Old 07-06-2014, 04:54 PM

Might be something to do with the pop up ads. In the original post, the words "saw blades" were highlighted as folks often do for a link to what they are talking about. Didn't seem like a normal pop up since it led to a specialty arrow cutting blade, as I described. Today, those highlighted words led to a John Deere ad, which is a typical pop up and shows just rolling over it with the curser. I had to click on them to get to the arrow blade and it was not a big enough company to be doing Google pop ups, or even an ad for the company.

Things can be confusing on the internet, we don't all see the same things. Don't know why the words led to me to an arrow cutting blade. I was wondering why everyone was talking about ordinary saw blades, figured they didn't click on the link I did.

PS. In your quote of the original post, it still leads me to the arrow cutting blade. I am sober!

Last edited by Hammer1; 07-06-2014 at 04:56 PM.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-06-2014, 07:56 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
when the ads take over a thread....

It's time to report the thread or scream outloud "get rid of the damn ads" ... they are a nuisance.

In the early days of the ads/no ads discussion I stated that I have never been influenced by a pop up ad or other form of promotion on the web and have not purchased anything as a result. I use an adblocker, so I don't see them, thankfully.

So we will carry on as before, sober or otherwise, and back we go to kerf size. The stiffer the blade, the more accurate the cut.... especially when "shaving" off a fraction of an inch.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-06-2014 at 08:26 PM.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-06-2014, 08:16 PM

View J.C.'s Photo Album My Photos
Unless you have an underpowered saw or you actually need a thin kerf for what you are doing, I have no idea why you would buy a thin kerf saw blade. Generally speaking, full kerf is the way to go.

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country. ~ William McKinley
post #18 of 22 Old 07-06-2014, 11:02 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303
I don't have any 12" equipment. All my 10" blades (table & miter) are thin kerf Forrest blades. I pick 'em up at their factory.

My opinion, Forrest blades are best.

I can also drop blades off to be sharpened and rebuilt.
Well lucky you. Yes they are the best blade.

Al

post #19 of 22 Old 07-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
It does seem the thick kerf blades are in fact thinner. I know there are thin kerf blades and I use them on my small dia blades. It just seems like the blades now are slightly thinner that blades I used 20 years ago.

Al

post #20 of 22 Old 07-08-2014, 12:00 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
It does seem the thick kerf blades are in fact thinner. I know there are thin kerf blades and I use them on my small dia blades. It just seems like the blades now are slightly thinner that blades I used 20 years ago.

Al
Thirty some years ago I was cutting a lot of 1 1/8" fir plywood into pie shaped treads for spiral stair cases, the saw sharpening shop recommended I try one of those new fangled carbide tipped blades. I got a deal on one and still paid over $100, a 1/2 months rent on the shop at the time.
As I remember it had about a 3/16" kerf, my helper commented, "Cuts great but we are wasting half the plywood."

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode