Installing bullnose on hallway overlooking stairway - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JIMMIEM

post #1 of 16 Old 06-26-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

View branimal's Photo Album My Photos
Installing bullnose on hallway overlooking stairway

I am installing 5 1/2” bullnose in a hallway overlooking a staircase in preparation to install metal posts with steel cable and a wooden handrail.

I ripped out the last row of 4” flooring and found that the gaps b/w the last row of flooring and the “drop” in the the stairwell is not consistent. The flooring leans in toward the top of the staircase. See pic. This means the bullnose will bump into one of my metal posts and handrail. See green line in pic - that’s where the problem post will be. The metal posts are being installed on a knee wall.

What are my options to work around that issue? Do I notch the bullnose to allow for the handrail to pass thru? Or cut back that last row of flooring? Or create some type of transition reduction with my bullnose? See pic

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by difalkner; 06-26-2018 at 07:42 PM. Reason: removed note to admin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-26-2018, 08:21 AM

View JIMMIEM's Photo Album My Photos
What was the configuration before you pulled out the last row of flooring? Was the last row of flooring the same width along its entire length? If the top of the flooring 'leans' in is something not square?
post #3 of 16 Old 06-26-2018, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMIEM;
What was the configuration before you pulled out the last row of flooring? Was the last row of flooring the same width along its entire length? If the top of the flooring 'leans' in is something not square?

Last row was tucked under a sheetrock 40Ē wall that was acting as stair bannister and handrail.

So the non-squareness was effectively hidden.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-26-2018, 10:26 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
not quite understand this, but ...

Are you saying the flooring does not run parallel to the wall underneath it? If so, I'd just run it over "long" and try to take up as much of the difference in the last few pieces. If that ain't the issue, then sorry for my lack of understanding.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 16 Old 06-26-2018, 10:54 AM

The taper would be 1 3/4" (4 1/2" -2 3/4") over what total length?
post #6 of 16 Old 06-26-2018, 01:25 PM

View NVwoodworker's Photo Album My Photos
I'm not sure how your posts relate to the bullnose, (or what the green line represents) but I think I would taper the bullnose piece to keep the nosing (the part that overhangs the stairwell) pretty consistent.

You seem to be planning for a 1" nosing, right? So the bullnose would taper from 5 1/2" to 3 3/4". Then any notching to accommodate the posts would also be consistent.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-26-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMMIEM;
The taper would be 1 3/4" (4 1/2" -2 3/4") over what total length?

8 feet.

post #8 of 16 Old 06-26-2018, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVwoodworker;
I'm not sure how your posts relate to the bullnose, (or what the green line represents) but I think I would taper the bullnose piece to keep the nosing (the part that overhangs the stairwell) pretty consistent.

You seem to be planning for a 1" nosing, right? So the bullnose would taper from 5 1/2" to 3 3/4". Then any notching to accommodate the posts would also be consistent.

Yes 1Ē nosing.

So taper the bullnose and NOT the last row of flooring. I guess it comes down to which looks less obvious.

post #9 of 16 Old 06-26-2018, 05:22 PM

From what I can tell from the picture the Bullnose may be more of a focal point than the flooring it abuts. If that is the case then it might be less noticeable if you tapered the flooring in order to keep the bullnose a constant width. Difficult to tell from a picture what each option would look like. In either scenario the overhang would look best if it were constant over its entire length.
BigJim likes this.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-26-2018, 06:03 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
I may not be following you completely but I can see your problem. Will you be rebuilding the knee wall ?
If yes, I would use the knee wall to get back into alignment with the stair. Otherwise I donít see how to hide (you say hidden above) such a significant taper.
Let us know what you decide.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #11 of 16 Old 06-26-2018, 06:36 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I would make a uniform overhang regardless of how it lines up with the flooring. Make the 5 1/2" board taper 1 3/4". Very few people will notice the taper but everyone would see a difference in overhang. The only other option would be to sheetrock over the wall and make the wall match the angle of the flooring.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-27-2018, 12:53 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Did you already install the flooring in the hall above (to the left) the stairs?

If not, I would think about tapering the flooring on the other side of the hallway so that it is against the wall, where the ripped edge will be under the baseboards.

I think that would be the least noticeable. Then your nice bullnose piece will be perfectly straight along it's length.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-01-2018, 06:13 PM

View Quickstep's Photo Album My Photos
Iíd keep the overhang uniform as Steve indicated, but Iím curious about how things got so out of whack. Is the foooring parallel to the opposite wall ?
post #14 of 16 Old 07-23-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

I got it done. There were errors along the way, but itís acceptable to me. There are some gaps bw the wood flooring and bullnose.

Do I fill those in with a stainable caulk?

post #15 of 16 Old 07-23-2018, 01:20 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
20-20 hind sight ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Are you saying the flooring does not run parallel to the wall underneath it? If so, I'd just run it over "long" and try to take up as much of the difference in the last few pieces. If that ain't the issue, then sorry for my lack of understanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep View Post
Iíd keep the overhang uniform as Steve indicated, but Iím curious about how things got so out of whack. Is the foooring parallel to the opposite wall ?
When laying a floor which ends in a highly visible area, measure from the far wall to the edge you will see, hoping you get the same dimension. If not, you can plan out a slight taper as you lay the boards along the way much easier than having to take it all up in the last few boards. Also reading a slight taper from underneath the bullnose is less obvious. You'd have to turn your head and look straight up to see any taper while climbing the stairs.

Glad you got it done.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #16 of 16 Old 07-24-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branimal View Post
I got it done. There were errors along the way, but itís acceptable to me. There are some gaps bw the wood flooring and bullnose.

Do I fill those in with a stainable caulk?

To get a real good color match take a piece of the flooring and make a lot of sanding dust. Mix the dust with wood glue, fill the gaps, and then stain. If the gaps are narrow and not too deep you can drizzle some glue into the gap and then sprinkle in some sanding dust. Use sanding dust......saw dust is too coarse. If you have a mix of sand dust and saw dust sift it through a strainer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode