Inside Bead Miter on Stile and Rail Panel Door - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 02-13-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

View starfleet's Photo Album My Photos
Inside Bead Miter on Stile and Rail Panel Door

Hi. I'm new to the forum and have a question. I'm going to be building some stile and rail panel doors for my kitchen cabinets. To match the design of some other cabinets which will be staying, the doors I will build will have a bead on the inside edges.

I can't figure out though how to neatly and accurately cut the 45 degree mitre in each fo the corners so that the bead edges meet.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-13-2010, 08:43 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfleet View Post
Hi. I'm new to the forum and have a question. I'm going to be building some stile and rail panel doors for my kitchen cabinets. To match the design of some other cabinets which will be staying, the doors I will build will have a bead on the inside edges.

I can't figure out though how to neatly and accurately cut the 45 degree mitre in each fo the corners so that the bead edges meet.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.
Are these going to be built with mitered corners or a standard rail & stile door?
Go to http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/Instr...Ds/products/4/
They have some dvd's that show how to build mitered or standard cabinet doors with some good information.

If these are a standard rail & panel you will have two cutters & your cope cut & the ends of your rails should fit the profile of your stiles & that would give the sharp looking joint

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!

Last edited by jlord; 02-13-2010 at 08:49 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-13-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Standard rail and stile. I already have the bit set, and I want these to match the design of the other cabinet doors. Meanwhile, I'll check out the DVDs.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2010, 09:37 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfleet View Post
Standard rail and stile. I already have the bit set, and I want these to match the design of the other cabinet doors. Meanwhile, I'll check out the DVDs.

Thanks.
With the standard construction of your doors the cope cut will fit tightly together with the stiles to give the mitered look. Watch the dvd's & you will understand the construction of the doors.

woodsmith has some good podcast you could watch also. Many diferent subjects to watch.
http://www.woodworkingonline.com/category/podcast/

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
post #5 of 5 Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

I checked out the Woodworkingonline.com podcast on frame and panel doors. It all makes much more sense. Thanks for the lead. I can't wait to get started.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode