Inset Doors - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 06-17-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

View Aragorn's Photo Album My Photos
Inset Doors

Hi, a relative woodworking newbie here.

After some success with earlier cabinets and overlay doors I thought I’d try something more challenging.

The inset doors are made and are dead-on square. And I made them just 1/16 larger all around than the opening -- for trimming.
My problem is that when I was gluing and clamping the carcass I measured the diagonals, and they were exactly equal so I left it at that. I foolishly neglected to check the corners with a framing square; so now I have a 'slight' trapezoid. (About a 1/16 strong across 22 inches - enough so that the gaps will look unacceptable)

I don’t want to have to build another carcass because it’s made of cherry – expensive. Can I cut a long slender wedge and glue that along one side to ‘straighten’ out the trapezoid? What might be the best way to fix this that will hopefully be the most aesthetically pleasing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-17-2009, 10:04 PM

View toolman Steve's Photo Album My Photos
First is the out side of the cabinet also out of square . if so remove the back and square the cabinet.
If the cabinet is not out of square or if you can't remove the back.You may have to match the doors to the cabinet .
post #3 of 12 Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 PM
ecw

View ecw's Photo Album My Photos
Aragorn, can you post a pic or two for clarification & or so i can learn with you? what details, if any(profiles) are on the door & or frame; fluted, raised, stepped, flush? are you saying that you made "inset" doors 1/16" larger than the openings? forgive my ignorance but when you say "carcass" are speaking of the face frame? eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 06-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Hi, a relative woodworking newbie here.

After some success with earlier cabinets and overlay doors I thought I’d try something more challenging.

The inset doors are made and are dead-on square. And I made them just 1/16 larger all around than the opening -- for trimming.
My problem is that when I was gluing and clamping the carcass I measured the diagonals, and they were exactly equal so I left it at that. I foolishly neglected to check the corners with a framing square; so now I have a 'slight' trapezoid.(About a 1/16 strong across 22 inches - enough so that the gaps will look unacceptable)

I don’t want to have to build another carcass because it’s made of cherry – expensive. Can I cut a long slender wedge and glue that along one side to ‘straighten’ out the trapezoid? What might be the best way to fix this that will hopefully be the most aesthetically pleasing?

If the opening measured equal corner to corner, it was a square opening. It could have gotten out of square during clamping, or while the glue was drying, and what you have now is a cabinet that is slightly "racked".

If it was assembled without the back, and the back is a snug fit, you may be able to get it square when the back goes in.

post #5 of 12 Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 AM

View Bob Wingard's Photo Album My Photos
I think he's saying that one carcase member is a different length than it's opposing part. This would cause corner-corner measurements to be dead on, but with a slight taper, that would be evenly distributed to both sides.

I suppose you could split the difference .. apply a very thin tapered shim to each opposing member of the carcase .. then cut the inset doors at a very slight angle to obtain proper fit. With any luck, the error should be all but impossible to see with the naked eye.

A picture or two would be very helpful, and some dimensions. Your 1/16" error could be huge or minor, depending on the scope of the problem. You state that it is across a 22" span .. what is the other dimension ??

You also might be able to trim the doors a bit, and add cockbeading to the opening, building it out at a slight taper, making the repair even less visible .. assuming face frame construction. If it's frameless, I think you are screwed.

<<<__ Bøb __>>>
post #6 of 12 Old 06-19-2009, 08:15 PM

View clampman's Photo Album My Photos
I don't understand what the problem is. If you made the doors oversize by a sixteenth, just plane them to fit into the opening.

Experience is something you get only just right after you needed it.
http://www.miterclamp.com
post #7 of 12 Old 06-19-2009, 10:25 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by clampman View Post
I don't understand what the problem is. If you made the doors oversize by a sixteenth, just plane them to fit into the opening.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #8 of 12 Old 06-20-2009, 12:20 AM
ecw

View ecw's Photo Album My Photos
so the carcass is the cabinet box ?
eric
post #9 of 12 Old 06-20-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

View Aragorn's Photo Album My Photos
Everything was all glued up including the back. Yes, it is just in the cabinet front that there is a slight trapezoid.
I was wondering if I could fix the trapezoidal shape of the door opening rather than alter the doors. I finally said to hell with it and used a router and a straight edge to create a slight taper along the top rail of both doors. It is probably unnoticeable to anyone else --- grr.
thanks

Last edited by Aragorn; 06-20-2009 at 04:15 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-20-2009, 05:23 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
I think he's saying that one carcase member is a different length than it's opposing part. This would cause corner-corner measurements to be dead on, but with a slight taper, that would be evenly distributed to both sides.

<<<__ Bøb __>>>

I'm trying to visualize that. Could you explain it better? I'm just a simple guy.

post #11 of 12 Old 06-20-2009, 11:32 PM

View clampman's Photo Album My Photos
aragorn,

If you ever run across a situation like that in the future, try to plane tapers on the stiles rather than the rails. The eye will never pick up tapered stiles the way it will tapered rails.

Cheers,
Jim

Experience is something you get only just right after you needed it.
http://www.miterclamp.com
post #12 of 12 Old 06-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
Is this a free standing cabinet or is it mounted to the wall? I mean...what size reveal are you shooting for...If it is A FREE STANDING PIECE...

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode