I think I made my cabinet doors too small - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 09-13-2009, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

View radionightster's Photo Album My Photos
I think I made my cabinet doors too small

Hi guys,

I may have a big problem on my hand. I'm re-doing our kitchen, and I've just finished all our cabinet doors. We were planing on using European style hinges for them. I sized all my doors 1/2" larger than the opening for both height and width. That means I have 1/4" overlap on top/bottom/left/right of the door. I just re-read some web pages that say I should have left 1/2" on the top/left/bottom/right for overlap.

So it seems I may have made the doors 1/4" small in both height and width.

Will this present a problem with using European hinges? Do they have half-overlay hinges that will work with doors sized like this?

Thank you for any help!
RN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-13-2009, 08:27 AM

View jraksdhs's Photo Album My Photos
its not looking good

To say it simple....your screwed!
post #3 of 20 Old 09-13-2009, 09:12 AM

View kreg mcmahon's Photo Album My Photos
yes you are screwed. you need 1/2 " all around the doors. top bottom etc.

how did you make the door? did you use a cope and stick?

also most european hindges are 3/8 to 1/2 overlay and some go up to 5/8 and 3/4.

you have learned a great lesson. really and there are no good fixes just half ass ones.

go to www.thisiscarpentry.com page 118 I just had published an article on cabinets and builtins. talks about doors.

dont feel bad I have made doors wrong sizes before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-13-2009, 09:24 AM

View TomC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreg mcmahon View Post
yes you are screwed. you need 1/2 " all around the doors. top bottom etc.

how did you make the door? did you use a cope and stick?

also most european hindges are 3/8 to 1/2 overlay and some go up to 5/8 and 3/4.

you have learned a great lesson. really and there are no good fixes just half ass ones.

go to www.thisiscarpentry.com page 118 I just had published an article on cabinets and builtins. talks about doors.

dont feel bad I have made doors wrong sizes before.
I agree he's got a major problem but don't understand why you would have to have 1/2" on top and bottom; I understand the sides? Also, I read somewhere always buy your hinges before you make your doors.
Tom
post #5 of 20 Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
I agree he's got a major problem but don't understand why you would have to have 1/2" on top and bottom; I understand the sides? Also, I read somewhere always buy your hinges before you make your doors.
Tom
that is true about the hindges because different hindges require different setbacks.

you can go with 1/4, i just prefer 1/2 so it covers well. but at least 3/8 min.

one reason I go with 1/2 is then you just take your inside measurement and add 1" makes it simple!
post #6 of 20 Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You're not screwed. You didn't say whether the cabinets are face framed or frameless. In either case there are concealed hinges that will work. For example for faceframes, here is one for 1/4" overlay.

post #7 of 20 Old 09-13-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
You're not screwed. You didn't say whether the cabinets are face framed or frameless. In either case there are concealed hinges that will work. For example for faceframes, here is one for 1/4" overlay.

good find i stand correct thats why you are called cabinet man!
post #8 of 20 Old 09-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a 1/4" OL hinge all that means is you will have the hing side of the door ovelap by 1/4" +/- the adjustment of the hinge. Whatever overlay you have on the other three sides of the door is usually irrelevant as long as it covers the hole.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #9 of 20 Old 09-13-2009, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

View radionightster's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you for the 1/4" overlay link!
post #10 of 20 Old 09-13-2009, 04:51 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
OK I'll be the one to ask

Are these painted doors or natural hardwood? Couldn't you add a 1/2" strip all around to make them larger? Miter the corners depending on your joinery? You may not want to now that you have found the hinge above, but it's just a thought.
BTW- Sometimes a "screw-up" turns into an unusual design detail, such as a contrasting wood border..."Oh Yeah, I meant to do it that way." "That's really cool!".....In this case a rather exotic wood could be used as a border since it 's only a 1/2" narrow piece, and wouldn't take a truck load to do it. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-13-2009 at 04:57 PM.
post #11 of 20 Old 09-14-2009, 06:34 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Are these painted doors or natural hardwood? Couldn't you add a 1/2" strip all around to make them larger? Miter the corners depending on your joinery? You may not want to now that you have found the hinge above, but it's just a thought.
BTW- Sometimes a "screw-up" turns into an unusual design detail, such as a contrasting wood border..."Oh Yeah, I meant to do it that way." "That's really cool!".....In this case a rather exotic wood could be used as a border since it 's only a 1/2" narrow piece, and wouldn't take a truck load to do it. bill
Interesting idea!

George
post #12 of 20 Old 09-14-2009, 09:57 AM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
I knew Cabinetman would have a good answer. Man you guys are rough, saying "yes you are screwed" and "I think you might be" are to different things. Give the guy some hope at least.

Interesting idea Bill sounds like you have experience in that area.
post #13 of 20 Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 AM
where's my table saw?

Smile Not really Richard

Just trying to keep the OP from feeling Like I feel when I "screw up". Sometimes there is a solution if you think outside the "box".
Never settle for the first diagnosis, get a second opinion, as they say.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #14 of 20 Old 09-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Just trying to keep the OP from feeling Like I feel when I "screw up". Sometimes there is a solution if you think outside the "box".
Never settle for the first diagnosis, get a second opinion, as they say.

Bill,

You're way too humble.

post #15 of 20 Old 09-14-2009, 02:29 PM
where's my table saw?

Thanks, Mike

I've been called a lot of things, but "humble" was never one on them. I'm putting you in my will. bill

post #16 of 20 Old 09-14-2009, 09:32 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Bill,
I was thinking along the same lines as I read the posts. Only I was thinking of adding a strip around the opening, figuring the door would cover it. The contrasting wood is always a good idea as long as you stick with your story as to why you did it. The goofier the reason, the more believable. I don't consider things like this 'screwups', I call 'em redesigns.
Mike Hawkins
post #17 of 20 Old 09-14-2009, 11:45 PM
Cabinetmaker

View skymaster's Photo Album My Photos
modifications, architectural elements,structural requirements, artistic liscense
post #18 of 20 Old 09-15-2009, 07:49 PM

View nicewood's Photo Album My Photos
It is even possible to get a concealed hinge which allows the door to be fitted flush with the front edge of the cabinet. If your stiles etc are wide enough they could be cut down and so allow the door to fit into the cabinet using these hinges

Wood for turning, carving, and craft projects, craft shapes and cabinet hardware visit http://thewoodshed.ecrater.com/
post #19 of 20 Old 10-22-2009, 08:37 PM

View onemanshow's Photo Album My Photos
Wherever you got the hinges, they should also sell different thicknesses in plates. You could get a half overlay hinge with a thicker plate to accomodate the 1/4 overlay. Good luck.
post #20 of 20 Old 10-22-2009, 09:01 PM
where's my table saw?

Radionightster where are you, come in

It's been a month plus since you posted what's up? What happened to the doors/hinges/add-ons? bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode