how to determine mounting plate type for blum hinges - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 12-23-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

View gwald's Photo Album My Photos
how to determine mounting plate type for blum hinges

hi - I'm trying to determine the type of mounting plate for blum hinges. I'm using the excel spreadsheet that they provide. I put in all of the required measurements for the spreadsheet, but the section for choosing mounting plate types does not provide much guidance. I just want to use wood screws for a full overlay 3/4" thick door using panel construction. Anybody have any suggestions on this?

It looks like part of the decision is stamped or die-cast. Is one better/stronger than the other?

thx,
rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
We would need to know specifically which hinge you have and how much overlay you want. They use a mathmatical formula to figure the back plate. The amount of overlay you want would equal the distance you bored the cup hole from the edge of the door + a fixed dimension given for the hinge minus the thickness of the plate which is metric. Normally for full overlay you would use a 0mm backplate and for half overlay you would use a 3mm backplate.

Last edited by Steve Neul; 12-26-2012 at 09:08 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
There's no mathematical formula needed. Most all Blum hinges get bored with the hole 1/8" to 3/16" from the edge of the door. I set the center of my Forstner bit 7/8" from the edge of the door.

Seems like some make a big deal about the hinge/plate arrangement. It's really pretty simple. For frameless cabinets, there are different hinges and plates that will work depending on how much overlay is wanted. A full overlay hinge differs slightly from a full inset hinge in the design of the cranking arm. In reality, a full overlay hinge will work for any overlay amount by just using a different mounting plate.

The plates are available in different thicknesses which is the determining factor on how far the door is set over. For a full overlay, a 0mm plate can be used. For partial overlay on a 3/4" edge, a 9mm plate can be used. For a full inset an 18mm plate can be used. I would suggest using only the 3 way adjustable plates.

For face frame use, the hinges are designated a bit differently. They are listed in inches of overlay. So, if you are remodeling a kitchen with face frames, you can get the door edges to be placed as needed in relation to the width of the face frame.

Hinge info for frameless cabinets.
Hinge info for face frame cabinets.

The Following User Says Thank You to cabinetman For This Useful Post:
burkhome (12-26-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

View gwald's Photo Album My Photos
thanks for your responses!

I really appreciate it.

rob
post #5 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 09:05 PM

View stinkynathan's Photo Album My Photos
Did you get this figured out yet? Our shop uses these almost every day. I could get you the part numbers we use.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-02-2013, 09:18 PM

View stinkynathan's Photo Album My Photos
Wink

Actually...I just realized I have everything in ye olde CabinetVision materials library here at home While I have it open I'll give you half overlay, full overlay and inset schedules. There are probably others curious about this information.

For half overlay we use:
Hinge: B071B3590
Hinge Plate: B175H6030

For 3/4 overlay we use:
Hinge: B071B3590
Hinge Plate: B175H6600

For inset we use:
Hinge: B071B3790
Hinge Plate: B175H5030.21 (and a couple others, depending on the situation)

A few caveats:
We use Inserta hinges only so these are Inserta part numbers, BUT I'm pretty sure the press/screw hinges are a similar part number.

Our shop does only face frame construction, so if you're talking frameless full overlay, then I believe you're looking for the "inset" pair I have listed.

Let me know if you have any questions. I work with this stuff almost every day. If I don't know one of our drawer/hinge/handle/hardware guys will definitely know.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-16-2017, 10:12 AM
Woodworking Hobbyist

View kwojdak's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwald View Post
hi - I'm trying to determine the type of mounting plate for blum hinges. I'm using the excel spreadsheet that they provide. I put in all of the required measurements for the spreadsheet, but the section for choosing mounting plate types does not provide much guidance. I just want to use wood screws for a full overlay 3/4" thick door using panel construction. Anybody have any suggestions on this?

It looks like part of the decision is stamped or die-cast. Is one better/stronger than the other?

thx,
rob
I know this is an old post but I've been shopping at WoodworkerExpress.com lately and noticed that they list the Blum hinges with all the possible plates together which takes the guesswork out of what you need.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode