Horizontal Wall Paneling - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 11-22-2010, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

View CaptZZ's Photo Album My Photos
Horizontal Wall Paneling

Looking for a good website for wall paneling, looking for wide boards to run horizontally in the game room. Gotta a feeling I'll have to make my own.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-22-2010, 09:16 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Here's a thought

For planks, if you have the capability to resaw your own lumber that would be the cheapest, second choice would be to have portable saw mill make some in 1/2'' or 3/8'' thick. and finally most $$, use wide plank flooring like this:
http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...&fr=ytff1-tyc7

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-22-2010 at 09:19 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-23-2010, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks woodnthings, luckily I have woodmill not too far away,and yeah I've already approached my buddy with a bandsaw about doing the resaw....now it's just a dollar vs time decision as I'm just finishing up the kitche remodel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-23-2010, 06:03 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptZZ View Post
Thanks woodnthings, luckily I have woodmill not too far away,and yeah I've already approached my buddy with a bandsaw about doing the resaw....now it's just a dollar vs time decision as I'm just finishing up the kitche remodel.

A consideration to resawing is that sawing thin boards, or resawing thicker ones to thinner ones, unless you want a rough sawn look, they would have to be thick enough to plane smooth, or to allow for T&G, and from there further dressing depending on how smooth you want it.

Also care has to be taken to keep them flat.

post #5 of 7 Old 11-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
Maybe a little inspiration?

Did a "register" estate 15 or so years ago......loads of cool stuff at that place.Circa 1780 and was across the way from TJ's Poplar Forest.In the front rm was an original dado that was run horz.(rather than the usual stlye/rail panel)and consisted of a full 27" wide.....rather longish(this varied accd. to section)......1 1/4 thick.....and cut from single log.IOWs,not a glue up.These long,wide "boards" had rails top N bttm. with styles at ends.Sitting on an 8" base with original cap rails it is overthetop cool.We were VERY impressed with the flatness of panels and overall intregrity considering house's history.VG scale with 12' ceiling.

Point is,you can "cheat" the vert utilising chair rail/cap rails as design ques.In a game rm this can be run higher up(work on your scale,adj to achieve a pleasing eye).Then maybe a section of flat wall for sports art......then a trophy shelf above.It'll save some wood possibly.Best of luck,BW
post #6 of 7 Old 11-24-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feed back, I really haven't started a "serious" workup yet, just getting around to brainstorming. Originally was mulling traditional waisncoat but was channel surfing and saw some horizontal paneling in the back ground of the set on a sitcom. Recording that show now in hopes of getting a better look at paneling, trying to see how it's joined.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 PM

View ed_h's Photo Album My Photos
I put horizontal clear cedar in our sun room. It came in shrink-wrapped packages of 4-1/2" x about 1/4" and random lengths, beveled onthe edges. I ran out before I was done and rather than buy more (it was kind of expensive), I used up some leftover 6" x 1/2" cedar bevel siding. I planed it down to 1/4", ripped it to 4-1/2", and beveled the edges. Can't tell it from the original stuff.

For just a little more, you can do it yourself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode