Help with stair trim - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 1 Post By Dankristen01

post #1 of 9 Old 08-23-2020, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

View Dankristen01's Photo Album My Photos
Help with stair trim

Hi all, new to this forum and look forward to learning alot. I need help with cutting trim that goes along my stair stringers. I took pictures of where I tore the old stuff off, I'd like to replace it with quarter round and can't for the life of me figure out or understand how to cut the appropriate angles. Any advice / help would be greatly appreciated. I do have a miter saw and have plenty of experience doing regular baseboards, this trim just has my mind boggled.

DanHelp with stair trim-20200823_111957_1598196661426.jpgClick image for larger version

Name:	20200823_111957_1598196661426.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	394219Help with stair trim-20200823_113020_1598196629731.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-23-2020, 01:44 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Lay a piece of trim on the skirt and mark the top on the wall out past the angle of the skirt. Now lay that piece of trim on the other plane of the skirt angle and mark the top of the trim on the wall at the angle.

See where the top intersects at the angle of the trim on the wall? You want to lay a scrap piece of flat scrap the same width as the trim piece on the skirt, let it go out past the intersecting angle point. See where the two lines on the wall intersect at the angle. Make a dot on the top of your flat piece where the two lines on the wall intersect, now before you move the trim piece, make a mark on the bottom of the flat piece at the intersection point of the skirt.

Flip your flat piece over and draw a line from dot to dot and that is your angle. Go to the miter saw and cut along that line. See what the angle is on your saw. Flip the flat piece over and lay it on your saw as that will be the way your actual trim will lay to be cut.

See how you will need to cut in the other direction as you just cut the back of the flat piece. Do the other pieces the same way but they may be a different angle so cut the flat pieces and dry fit them to see if you need to adjust the cut a little.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited by BigJim; 08-23-2020 at 01:49 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-23-2020, 02:22 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Jim, I can't follow your post but .....

Am correct that "bisecting" the angle is what's needed to create equal angles? I do know that if you cut a different angle on either piece, the cut length will be slightly different and they won't mate exactly.

Maybe that's what you were saying in the post, I donno? Maybe it was an on-site method without using any measuring devices like a protractor or angle gauge?

Help me understand if you would? Thanks.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-23-2020, 02:43 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Am correct that "bisecting" the angle is what's needed to create equal angles? I do know that if you cut a different angle on either piece, the cut length will be slightly different and they won't mate exactly.

Maybe that's what you were saying in the post, I donno? Maybe it was an on-site method without using any measuring devices like a protractor or angle gauge?

Help me understand if you would? Thanks.
Bill you are right, two different angles will make one angle longer. What I was saying was not really clear enough. When cutting that angle sometimes it can be off just a hair, so you sometimes have to shave a little off one or the other to make a totally tight joint.

I never used angle finders when trimming, I just marked the two points at the intersections and connected the dots.

You can even connect a 2X4 to a 2X6 or what ever using that same method on an angle, just make a mark at the intersections and connect the dots, they will match up, but connecting the 2x4 to the 2x6 the angles will be different lengths. I hope I am not making this more confusing.

Example: 2x4 and 2x6 on a 90 degree run, the cut will not be 45 degrees.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited by BigJim; 08-23-2020 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Added
post #5 of 9 Old 08-23-2020, 03:20 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
a 99 protractor and a ruler or straight edge will do that
the angle read off the protractor, 50, needs to be subtracted from 180
in this case 180-50=130 is the angle of the skirt board,
half of that 65 is what you need to cut you quarter round
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	394221  

post #6 of 9 Old 08-23-2020, 03:39 PM
where's my table saw?

OK then, throw in different widtth boards ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Bill you are right, two different angles will make one angle longer. What I was saying was not really clear enough. When cutting that angle sometimes it can be off just a hair, so you sometimes have to shave a little off one or the other to make a totally tight joint.

I never used angle finders when trimming, I just marked the two points at the intersections and connected the dots.

You can even connect a 2X4 to a 2X6 or what ever using that same method on an angle, just make a mark at the intersections and connect the dots, they will match up, but connecting the 2x4 to the 2x6 the angles (cut faces) will be different lengths. I hope I am not making this more confusing.

Example: 2x4 and 2x6 on a 90 degree run, the cut will not be 45 degrees.

Just as I thought, a quick and dirty method for on site trim, no gauges or protractors. I knew it!
BigJim likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #7 of 9 Old 08-25-2020, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

View Dankristen01's Photo Album My Photos
Thx guys, much appreciated!
BigJim likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-25-2020, 09:21 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
A Starrett miter saw protractor is nice b/c it gives you the actual angle to set the miter saw at - no math.

Robert
post #9 of 9 Old 08-25-2020, 09:30 AM
where's my table saw?

Like these on Ebay ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRobert View Post
A Starrett miter saw protractor is nice b/c it gives you the actual angle to set the miter saw at - no math.

The one shown is likely a clone of the Starrett:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replaces-fo...AAAOSwgaxcoYWm

This is the real one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Starrett-Pr....c100005.m1851

I have both and they're virtually identical.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode