Help! replicating door & window trim - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 07-13-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

View Todd Beaudin's Photo Album My Photos
Help! replicating door & window trim

I'm new to the forum but familiar with woodworking. I replaced all the windows in a craftsman style home in upstate NY and chose to replace the inside trim rather than reuse as much of it was in bad shape. I am having difficulty finding the correct router or shaper bit for the edge you can see in the pictures.

Also, The piece that is attached to the end of the 1x4 - does anyone know if this is something that can be bought pre-cut? Direct links to websites appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by Todd Beaudin; 07-13-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-13-2017, 05:01 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
That is a classic Ogee pattern

Try here:
https://www.holbren.com/ogee-router-bits/

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #3 of 3 Old 07-13-2017, 07:15 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If it's necessary to match it exactly a custom millwork shop should be able to make cutting knives to make the trim. It isn't cheap. I charge a full days labor to make a set of knives and you have two sets. If you can live with being close it would be simpler to use a router bit like woodenthings posted for the one profile. That profile appears the thickness is thinner on the edge with the ogee design on the edge of it. You can do that part of it in a planer by building a cradle to run the wood through on a slight angle so it surfaces more off one side than the other.

The other profile you might route the edge with the radius with a 1/4" radius bit and then run the rest of it on a jointer with the fence on an angle. For safety reasons make the board wide enough to do two pieces of molding. Once you mill the edges then rip the trim to it's finished size on a table saw.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode