Help me with baseboard moulding returns - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 24 Old 11-23-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

View Paul250's Photo Album My Photos
Question Help me with baseboard moulding returns

I've got some new baseboard moulding to install in my house but I'm not sure what to do in the places where it will end without running into something. I've made up samples of the different kinds of returns that I can think of, and the attached picture shows the one I like best.

The return piece is cut from the top edge of the moulding. I think it will look good to have the curved profile on the end.

The trouble is, I only have a regular miter saw and can't do the angled cut on the main part of the baseboard. The sample in the picture was done with a jigsaw, which isn't that accurate.

Do I need to buy a compound miter saw? I know they can cut the angle I need, but can I also limit the depth of the cut?

Or is there a less expensive way to do what I want?
Attached Images

Last edited by Paul250; 11-23-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Why don't you cut from point all the way through the main piece on a 45° and cut the piece to fit the other way on a 45°, you will have the same look.

http://www.diychatroom.com/

BigJim

Anything is possible IF you don't know what you are talking about.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 05:42 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
Why don't you cut from point all the way through the main piece on a 45° and cut the piece to fit the other way on a 45°, you will have the same look.
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

What jiju is describing is also called "self edging". It's pretty simple, as you create a finished look to the moulding. It's a method of cutting a 45° at the end of the moulding. Do this with the waste piece having extra length. Then take the waste piece and cut a 45°, and then cut it off the thickness of the moulding, or for crown or protruding mouldings with spring angles, that depth. When assembled, it will look like this.

Or, you could with some mouldings just cut a 22˝°, as an end. Here is a short tutorial on ending baseboards:
http://www.finishcarpentryhelp.com/b...rd-return.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 05:59 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
hmmmm

Quote:
Jim, I can see why he might want the "look" of the photo, a smaller picture frame wrapping around the tall base. It looks to me like 2 stopped cuts are required and the rest needs to be cut by hand. I suppose a router jig could be made, rights and lefts, to accomplish the same look. Possibly the same for a smaller circ saw with a fine tooth blade. I don't know about a miter saw being able to precisely stop short of the intersection...a good eye and hand coordination would be required.

I also think a bevel cut at 45 degrees rather than a miter cut, like a picture frame, would accomplish a similar look.
Maybe that's what you and C-man are suggesting and it won't get through my foggy brain, I donno? bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-24-2010 at 07:53 AM.
post #5 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 06:06 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
"I also think a bevel cut at 45 degrees rather than a miter cut, like a picture frame, would accomplish a similar look. "

I have seen this used even when the molding is butted against a stop. It provides a finished look and is much easier to cut.

George

Last edited by GeorgeC; 11-25-2010 at 06:54 AM.
post #6 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 06:22 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
Maybe that's what you and C-man are suggesting and it won't not get through my foggy brain, I donno? bill

It does sound confusing but it's really very simple. Think of ending the moulding as if it was to turn a corner, and go for a run. But, it gets cut off to stop to the wall. It's a very small piece. That's why I recommended to cut the return from a longer waste piece, so it can be handled safely.

post #7 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 07:44 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
I've always called the ending cut a "mitered return". It can be a simple 45 or a combination of bevels.
Attached Images

post #8 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Ole Woodworker

I may be wrong but I don't think he wants a return cut into the wall. The way I understand it is, if you were to cut the main piece of base like making the corner of a picture frame, as George said, then make the short cut like it dies into the floor not the wall. I am just not good at explaining things. The base will just make a 90° turn down to the floor. Does this make sense?

BigJim

post #9 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 PM

View jlhaslip's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to jlhaslip
Maybe a visual would help...

1. Mitred corners - no profile to the return

2. Bevelled Return - Profiled return, but the sawcut is visible

3. Combination - Return is profiled, Cut nearly invisible, but more work.

Clearly, the OP wants the 3rd look, and if I needed to do this, I'd make the initial cuts using a stop block on a mitre saw, then finish with a hand saw. (likely a pull saw) There likely would not be a router bit capable of getting a good inside corner, so that method isn't being considered.

Good luck on your project.
Attached Images

The Pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity while the Optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
BigJim (11-24-2010), woodnthings (11-24-2010)
post #10 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 12:20 PM
where's my table saw?

No 3. is what I thought?

But I donno? bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Ole Woodworker

I think #3 was the way Paul was trying to do it but I was trying to explain #2 as it would be easier and still look exactly the same way as #3.

Thanks jl for the drawings, I appreciate you.

BigJim

post #12 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 03:56 PM
where's my table saw?

Not so Jim!

No. 2 would have the long grain turn the corner in the miter.
I personally don't like that.
No. 3 The long grain butts in to small molding ending abruptly.
I like this better since it carries the horizontal line of the floor through. The no. 2 adds another design element ..if it's NOT painted and you have a stained wood grain.
Painted it doesn't make any difference. bill

post #13 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 08:15 PM
recently retired

View Keith Mathewson's Photo Album My Photos
What you are describing is the same process as making a mitered stair tread return. A jigsaw will not be accurate enough to do it well. If you are proficient with handtools it can be done with a knife line and a handsaw. If not a sliding chopsaw or radial armsaw is a good option. The finial part of the cut will need to be done with a handsaw. If you want a curved look it can also be done with a router and a template made of mdf.
post #14 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Ole Woodworker

Quote:
I like this better since it carries the horizontal line of the floor through. The no. 2 adds another design element ..if it's NOT painted and you have a stained wood grain.
You are right Bill, I wasn't thinking about the grain, my mind was running toward paint but that was an assumption and you know what that does.

BigJim

post #15 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments!

Yes, it's No. 3 that I've got in mind. It's like a 90 degree return into the floor, but with the long grain continuing up to the profiled part.

I'll try doing a sample using a knife and handsaw and see how well that works.
post #16 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 10:46 PM
where's my table saw?

For something simple

Why not just rip the upper piece off to start with, miter it and reattach it. You can off set it, making a step or make it flush either way. Yeah, you'll have a glue line, but that beats all the stopping and hand cuting...unless of course you're into that!
bill

post #17 of 24 Old 11-24-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

^ Hmm, perhaps I am making this more complicated than it needs to be.

I'll make up a sample that way too.
post #18 of 24 Old 11-25-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I may be wrong but I don't think he wants a return cut into the wall. The way I understand it is, if you were to cut the main piece of base like making the corner of a picture frame, as George said, then make the short cut like it dies into the floor not the wall. I am just not good at explaining things. The base will just make a 90° turn down to the floor. Does this make sense?
Yes. But then I know what you are trying to say.

If I was at my daughters house in Atlanta I would take a pictue.

George
post #19 of 24 Old 11-25-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
How it looks will depend upon your taste and how it is to be finished.

If it is to be painted then a person who makes accurate cuts, is good with spackling and does a good paint job with make a finish that you cannot tell the difference.

G
post #20 of 24 Old 11-25-2010, 08:49 AM
where's my table saw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul250 View Post

Yes, it's No. 3 that I've got in mind. It's like a 90 degree return into the floor, but with the long grain continuing up to the profiled part.

George, Probably not painted based on the photo and no comments to the contrary. bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode