Help finding molding - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 01-22-2015, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

View rpearlberg's Photo Album My Photos
Help finding molding

I can't seem to find this in the right dimensions...I only need about a foot.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-22-2015, 09:56 AM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
might be easy to build up in 2 piece. simple bull nose on top, looks like a little ogee profile under it.

It would be close enough to be within the same room unless you're extending an existing piece, in which case I would replace the whole length.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-22-2015, 10:18 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If the rabbet on the back side is the only problem then that could easily be fixed with a table saw cutting more of the wood out. If the rabbet is too big a piece of wood can be glued in the rabbet and re-milled.

Unfortunately molding is not a standard item. If the profile is completely different unless you can find the mill that made that molding you probably are not going to find it. Most of us design and make our own designs in moldings. Usually the cheapest and easiest solution is to remove all of that molding in that room and replace it with molding available in your local lumber company. Another option would be to have a cabinet shop make the tooling to run molding for you. It's expensive though. The tool steel is expensive and takes a lot of time to make a set of knives. I charge a minimum of $200.00 to make a small set of knives. Another option would be to buy a molding cutterhead to fit on a table saw. You can buy blank knives which are used for jointing or rabbeting and grind the design on yourself. It's tedious but if you are patient you could do it. You would just need a metal cutting carborundum blade to put on a grinder to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-22-2015, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. All I'm really trying to do is fill in the space in the picture. I pulled it our a few years ago to replace the sink and I knew I have should kept it, but didn't think about it until it was already gone....
Attached Images

post #5 of 9 Old 01-22-2015, 11:38 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What about maybe installing a decorative corner block on each end to fill the void.
Attached Images

post #6 of 9 Old 01-22-2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

that actually might be good. I would just have to cut the existing piece to fit this in correctly...
post #7 of 9 Old 01-22-2015, 12:46 PM

View bauerbach's Photo Album My Photos
Id throw a bullnose and a 3/4" board under it (looks like thats whats already there, just need to extend it up to the bullnose). Its such a short piece no one would even notice the difference.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-24-2015, 09:38 PM

View gatortodd's Photo Album My Photos
Help finding molding

That looks like 289 cap mould you should be able to find it at any contractor lumber yard or maybe even lowes or the depot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 PM
recently retired

View Keith Mathewson's Photo Album My Photos
Mill up a blank of the overall dimensions about 12" long, make an accurate tracking of the profile and mail it to me. I'll make the moulding and mail it back.

I can make that in about 10 minutes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode