Help with compound miter cut - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By woodnthings
  • 2 Post By BigJim

post #1 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

View Christopher Adis's Photo Album My Photos
Question Help with compound miter cut

Novice here. I'm trying to add some cove molding but having a tough time figuring out the cut for the turn on my stairs. Please see attached photo. Can anyone here offer some guidance on how to finish this off? Huge thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171206_121832.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	328113  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 01:01 PM

View gj13us's Photo Album My Photos
This would be trial-and-error for me. What if you used a third piece? The near end of the horizontal piece can be cut at a 45° angle. A very small third piece can be mitered at 45° to meet it at the corner. Then the banister piece can be cut back to meet the "upstairs" edge of the third piece. Like this: the blue is the cove, the red are the cuts, the brown the post and banister.
Attached Images

post #3 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 01:30 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
This is indeed a puzzle. I know how I would do it, but I cannot think how to explain it so somebody else could do it.

Basically you have to measure the angle that the piece coming down the stairs meets the horizontal piece. Then you tilt the saw to this same angle. Your measurement may be off some since you have a very short horizontal surface, so I would undercut the angle and work my way to the finish angle.

Ii am assuming that you have a compound miter saw.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 01:38 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
you need a trasition piece... 3rd piece

You can not mate those two sections even though they are identical, one being on an angle. The transition piece will hide the mismatch.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #5 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 02:03 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Even if you cut the molding on the left to the right compound angle, it will be longer than the molding on the right. Sometimes on a cut like this you block it. Use a decorative block (approx 1 1/2” taller than the molding) on the corner and run both pieces of mold into it.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #6 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gj13us View Post
This would be trial-and-error for me. What if you used a third piece? The near end of the horizontal piece can be cut at a 45° angle. A very small third piece can be mitered at 45° to meet it at the corner. Then the banister piece can be cut back to meet the "upstairs" edge of the third piece. Like this: the blue is the cove, the red are the cuts, the brown the post and banister.
I've been trying the three piece idea but I just can't seem to get the angles. I'm even using a Starrett but can't seem to get it to look good.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman50 View Post
Even if you cut the molding on the left to the right compound angle, it will be longer than the molding on the right. Sometimes on a cut like this you block it. Use a decorative block (approx 1 1/2” taller than the molding) on the corner and run both pieces of mold into it.
I like this idea but trying to envision how the decorative block would sit on the corner....
Hmmm...

Thanks everyone for your input! I think i pretty much wasted the day on this damn turn! Errrrr.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 03:53 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Adis View Post
I like this idea but trying to envision how the decorative block would sit on the corner....
Hmmm...

Thanks everyone for your input! I think i pretty much wasted the day on this damn turn! Errrrr.
Any way you miter the molding there it's going to look bad. The decorative outside corner block would work the best.
Attached Images

post #9 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 05:20 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Any way you miter the molding there it's going to look bad. The decorative outside corner block would work the best.
Thanks for adding the picture. Picture width a 1000 words.

The block pictured is very decorative. A simple block would just have a tapered top.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #10 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 05:39 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The block won't relate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Adis View Post
I've been trying the three piece idea but I just can't seem to get the angles. I'm even using a Starrett but can't seem to get it to look good.
The block in not going to merge to two sections gracefully, rather it will interrupt them. You are not going to make a smooth transition with the added piece. It is often done on shoe molding where there are different heights to deal with.

Search transition block or shoe mold plinth:

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...G&action=close

BTW, Steve's photo is not the condition you have which has one run at a steep angle and the other run is level. Both of those runs are level in the photo.
gj13us likes this.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)
post #11 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 08:24 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Two blocks that go around the corner, molding butts up to them, one would be rectangle, other would have angled bottom. Angled bottom one stops at corner, rectangle one is wider and stops at outside edge.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
post #12 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 09:43 PM
Ole Woodworker

View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Here is an article by one of our members and a good friend Keith Mathewson.
http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2010/...board-returns/
Attached Images

Toolman50 and gj13us like this.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-07-2017, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

That was a good article. I'm kicking myself for not planning to go level first before the turn. That would have solved my problem. Wish I would have read that article a long time ago! I'm a novice here......

I'm going to do the block method. On my way to the store now to see if they have something decorative that will fit. Otherwise I will cut some small blocks and try to use a router on the edges to make it look halfway decent.

Thanks again guys!

Tags
compund, cut, miter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode