Hanging melamine cabinets on concrete - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 05-04-2007, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member from MN

View Daveb's Photo Album My Photos
Hanging melamine cabinets on concrete

I am an amateur woodworker and new to this forum. I have a question as to how best to hang cabinets to a concrete wall, without risk of them pulling out of the wall.

I am making a set of three melamine cabinets out of 3/4 sheets (1/2 for the back), and the largest has dimensions of roughly 3ftx3ft. I am hanging them on a concrete basement wall above a washer/dryer. The cabinets will not tie to the ceiling or floor.

To avoid conduit and other items, the backs will be offset from the wall by 1 1/2 to 2 inches.

I plan to make hangars by ripping a board in half at a 45 degree angle, with one piece attached to the wall and the other to the cabinet. I also plan to use concrete anchor screws.

My question is this. With such a large offset from the wall, the hangar stock will be fairly thick, which might put more stress on the anchor screws, even if I recess the screws into the hangar.

Is there a better way to do this or any further suggestions? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Is one hangar for each cabinet enough?

Also, I have had varying success with the concrete anchor screws (Tapcon). Occasionally, the screws do not grab as tightly as I'd like. Other times they are rock solid.

Thanks! Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-04-2007, 03:38 PM

View send_it_all's Photo Album My Photos
I see no reason why this set up wouldnt work as long as you get a good grab with the achors....I would probably use a red head style anchor myself, instead of tapcons, but if they grab, it should be fine.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-07-2007, 09:50 PM

View nywoodwizard's Photo Album My Photos
I would hang your hangers from the floor joist above,if the joist direction is no good then install cats in between and secure your hanger boards from them,its easy and fast.

"You must become one with the wood grass hopper"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-08-2007, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member from MN

Thanks for the suggestions.

Unfortunately, the area is a bit complicated so that is partly why the cabinets do not go all the way to the ceiling. I am hanging three cabinets next to one another. It's a 1940 house, and the joists/ceilings in the laundry area are covered with wire mesh/rock plaster. There are exposed cold air returns above one of the cabinets, a window above another, and air conditioner plumbing going through the foundation above the other (along with more cold air returns). I did not want to deal with this mess in the cabinet design, so I made the cabinets shorter than the full height of the ceiling.

This did give me another idea though. Since I need to build the hanger (rail) out a bit from the wall I could attach the rail to two or three vertically-running rails that are anchored to the block in several vertical locations. This would reduce the shear force that would otherwise pull on the rail anchors.

"send_it_all", what do you mean by "red head style anchor"? Is it a metal expansion type? Like one of these:
http://concrete-anchor.hardwarenet.c...ete-anchor.htm
Attached Images

post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2007, 10:10 PM

View nywoodwizard's Photo Album My Photos
If its a hollow concrete wall then use these types or something similer,if its solid use the redheads(home depot).The SNAPTOGGLE® anchors(pic on the left) are very strong and are available at the local home depot,the other type on the right will work good also.tapcons suck
Attached Images

"You must become one with the wood grass hopper"

Last edited by nywoodwizard; 05-15-2007 at 10:12 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-16-2007, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member from MN

Great! Thank you. It will be a few weeks until I get to the hanging part. I 'll let you know how it goes. Maybe try posting a picture.
DaveB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode