hanging interior door??? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 01-22-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

View jbizzel's Photo Album My Photos
Question hanging interior door???

I am installing a custom solid core wood door 30"x 80" and also making the jambs myself. My problem is the wall leans in about 1" from bottom to top of wall although my inside jambs are plumb and header jamb is level when i go to hang the door i think that this might cause the top of the door to stick out.....any body have a solution, the only one i can think of is adjusting the hinges by moving the lower hinge out and moving the top hinge in and halfway between the two for the middle hinge! Will this work?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-22-2007, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

View jbizzel's Photo Album My Photos
I am installing a custom solid core wood door 30"x 80" and also making the jambs myself. My problem is the wall leans in about 1" from bottom to top of wall although my inside jambs are plumb and header jamb is level when i go to hang the door i think that this might cause the top of the door to stick out.....any body have a solution, the only one i can think of is adjusting the hinges by moving the lower hinge out and moving the top hinge in and halfway between the two for the middle hinge! Will this work?????[/quote]
post #3 of 7 Old 01-22-2007, 10:42 PM

View BULLHART's Photo Album My Photos
THis is in general discussion as well, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-29-2007, 12:06 PM

View pitbull's Photo Album My Photos
You could make your frame wider than need be also, which should help reduce the amount that you will have too alter the hinges if at all. This will be made less obvious when the trim is put around the frame. But it will all depend on what the finish is too be like and where the finished job is.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Cabinetmaker

View skymaster's Photo Album My Photos
j; you will have to make ur adjustments with the frame not the hinges, if u do hinges then your door will not be flush to the edge of the frame and will look bad no matter how hard you work at it.Jambs will have to be wide enuf to compensate for lack of plumb on walls, trim will be INTERESTING. Is this on your house or a customer? If a customer then you better have a long talk to him/her explain the problem,offer solutions then PUT IN WRITING what YOU AGREE ON, get it signed
Jack M
post #6 of 7 Old 02-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
You know , this is a continuing problem...I`ve had some success using my trim sledge. Sounds funny but, most times you can move the bottom plate. Depending how close the adjacent wall is located. Some frammers glue the plate to the sub floor... But I doubt this one did. And with all due respect... you can`t always blame the framer. There are far too many reasons at play. First objective is to keep the door plumb so it doesn`t open or shut on it`s own. You can fudge a few other things. The wider the casing the better. Good luck and keep track of your time. Rick

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #7 of 7 Old 02-13-2008, 09:38 PM

View dpmcreations's Photo Album My Photos
agreement

I have to agree.. I would have a good long talk with the owner(s).. Let them know of your quandry.. Let them also know of several options that they may have to rectify the problem... Most prople are really surprised when the homeowner says go for it on one of the options you give and also signs off on the job.. Good luck and let us know..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode