First-Time Cabinet Build - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

View OHNOIMONFIRE's Photo Album My Photos
First-Time Cabinet Build

Hey All,

I'm a first-time homeowner, and the house I'm in has cabinets in good condition on either side of the range. What it does not have is a smaller cabinet above the range that can house a microwave, flush with the other cabinets. Please see the attached pictures.

The cabinets are from Home Depot and the style/color is available at Home Depot too. They quoted me in the mid $400s for the small cabinet, which I thought was ridiculous.

I've built plenty of boxes and other projects but I haven't done a cabinet. What do you think the success chances are of me building my own cabinet to spec and then just buying the matching doors from Home Depot?

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Cabinets Current.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	57599  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Cabinets Project.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	57600  

Follow me and my current projects on Instagram! OHNOIMONFIRE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 AM

View DannyT's Photo Album My Photos
is there a cabinet there now?
if there is maybe you can cut it down to the height you need for the MW,
if not it isn't that hard to build one
post #3 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 12:27 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
on fire, if you can figure out the tech requirements to draw that pic, building a cabinet will be a breeze (if you have some tools). many people will help here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 12:40 PM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
Building it will be a piece of cake...matching the finish may take some work. Keep some scraps of your wood for testing.

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #5 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

There is not a cabinet there now. The part I was worried about the most is matching the frame of the cabinet to the cabinets already there. I guess I'd have to play around with multiple types of stains and topcoats.

I'm also curious if I will be able to simply buy the doors from Home Depot or another vendor. I have to look when I get home to see how the hinges were installed too.

Last edited by OHNOIMONFIRE; 12-20-2012 at 01:06 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
You already have samples of what to make on either side. It's the width and height that matters. If it has a face frame, just duplicate the size. It makes for an easier microwave installation if the bottom of the cabinet is flat, with no face frame protruding down past the bottom. Before you plan the height, pick out the microwave, and look at the dimensions and mounting instructions.

post #7 of 8 Old 12-21-2012, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Okay so from what I've gathered through you guys and online research, the cabinets shouldn't have a face panel protruding past the actual frame so that a microwave can be easily mounted.

I'm also reading that I should buy the microwave first, use the specs and the installation instructions citing the amount of inches the exhaust ports should be from the range surface and see if it meets city building code, and then design the cabinets from there.

Everything look good here?

post #8 of 8 Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHNOIMONFIRE View Post
Okay so from what I've gathered through you guys and online research, the cabinets shouldn't have a face panel protruding past the actual frame so that a microwave can be easily mounted.

I'm also reading that I should buy the microwave first, use the specs and the installation instructions citing the amount of inches the exhaust ports should be from the range surface and see if it meets city building code, and then design the cabinets from there.

Everything look good here?
In a word...yep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode