Exterior window trim - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 05-01-2014, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

View Gilgaron's Photo Album My Photos
Exterior window trim

The exterior trim around one of my windows that is rather shaded from the sun has gone soft in an area about the size of the palm of my hand. It is on the first floor so working on it will be pretty easy.

Am I better off pulling out the old board and replacing it or should I get some wood hardener and filler/epoxy to just repair the board? The former seems more 'best practice' but the latter would replace what rotted with non-rot material to prevent recurrence...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-01-2014, 02:46 PM

View SteveEl's Photo Album My Photos
I've tried it both ways.

If there's no evidence of water problems with the siding/housewrap/drainage right now other than this one little spot, in your place I'd chop and fill the rot with the epoxy stuff. Might use cheaper bondo too if I were planning any bigger renovations soon.

I found when I pulled the boards off, I ended up making bigger problems with the house wrap and drainage plane than I had before, which then had me pulling siding to address the worse issue I had caused.... and .... you know how it goes.

If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!
post #3 of 3 Old 05-02-2014, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

View Gilgaron's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the advice! Giving myself fewer opportunities to cause new problems does sound appealing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode