Exterior front door casing damage by interior trim carpenter - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 3 Old 07-16-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

View cokjr1943's Photo Album My Photos
Exterior front door casing damage by interior trim carpenter

My front door had not closed properly in years -- it stuck in a couple different places, took a really heavy hand to open it, and was just plain out of alignment (the easiest way I can say it). My interior trim carpenter said he would fix it as he was there doing other projects in the house. He removed the interior door casing to add shims and align the jamb. While it appears he fixed it from the inside (the door doesn't stick and opens smoothly now), you will see that the exterior casing on the opposite side has now protruded out about 1/4 to 1/3 inch. The separation is on the handle set side only, both top and hinge side did not separate.

My question is how severe is this? Is it something that can be expected when he fixed the alignment and jamb? Can I simply caulk the exposed area and repaint it? Or do I need to do something more, like install new casing for the exterior side of the door?

Thank you all for your input! Seems like you fix one thing in an old house and it leads to two things breaking. :)
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-16-2013, 11:36 PM

View gowings's Photo Album My Photos
2 options.
  1. I would get some expandable foam in the can. For windows and doors. It has minimal expansion. Fill the void/ crack flush with the wall or a little less leaving a say 1/8" then I would caulk it with exterior latex caulking. Since the door was reset and now is closing properly you have little choice.
  2. Get some molding to hide the now shown crack, paint and caulk it.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
If the casement feels solid and secure and you are happy to fill and paint then that is all I would do. In Australia we have a variety of gap fillers you squeeze out of a tube with a chalking gun.

A better brand (here Selleys No More Gaps) is the choice as the paint does not seem to crack as frequently compared to painting over a cheaper filler.

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode