Exterior door window trim? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

View Andrew07's Photo Album My Photos
Exterior door window trim?

Hi guys, I have a exterior door that I am going to re-finish for a client and there is a piece of glass in the middle held in by some trim, looks like 3 pieces. The inside is missing 2 pieces, was just wondering what the best method of making a new piece would be, I was thinking about routing a circle out from a piece of plywood? Any help would be appreciated, this is not my area of expertise, thanks.
Here is some pics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-24-2009, 07:26 AM

View RussBoyd's Photo Album My Photos
door

I've never built an exterior door, but have installed a lot. I wouldn't use ply as it just wont hold up. Take a wide board (even if you have to join them together) and cut your circle part out of that. Try to use the same species as the door.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-24-2009, 07:51 AM

View Just Bill's Photo Album My Photos
Yep, what he said. Very unique looking door and setting. This one needs careful care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-24-2009, 10:14 AM

View clampman's Photo Album My Photos
I would find as close a match to the door, and make the whole circle from new material. It will be easier to stain the whole circle to match the door than to stain 2/3rds to match the other third and then to match the door.

Cheers,
Jim

Experience is something you get only just right after you needed it.
http://www.miterclamp.com
post #5 of 6 Old 06-25-2009, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

View Andrew07's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the replies guys, so plywood would not hold up? Would it warp eventuality?

And what is the best way to tell what type of wood it is, can anyone tell by looking at the pictures what kind of wood I am dealing with here or tell me what type of wood would be the best to make this also one more thing what kind of joint do you think would be best for this situation?
Thanks Again

Last edited by Andrew07; 06-25-2009 at 03:36 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-27-2009, 12:30 AM
What Wood I Do

View gregL's Photo Album My Photos
I can't tell from the picture what type of wood it is but there is a way to make the trim that I have used numerous times to make trim for round portholes on yachts I have renovated.
Use a router with a center pivot point to cut your circle at the largest diameter. Then measure your inside diameter of the trim and use the same pivot point with a plunge router to remove the inside waste. I find it best to then cut the trim into 4 pieces with a fine saw blade to avoid the possibility of breaking along the cross grain.
I used this method many times with teak and fastened the trim with screws and plugs.

Who Dat...Every step of any project should be considered your masterpiece if you want the finished product to reflect the quality of your work. Have a nice day, unless you have other plans! "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
Greg Little

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode