edge mount hardware for removable panel - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 02-26-2014, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

View tns1's Photo Album My Photos
edge mount hardware for removable panel

I have a large face frame cabinet with three sets of open shelving. I have made 2'x2' panels to cover these shelf openings so it looks less 'cluttered'. These panels are intended to be completely removed (no hinges) for access, and ideally there would be no mounting hardware obstructing the opening at all.

The concept I have right now is a three-point mounting, two fixed pegs/balls at the lower edge and one central spring or magnet at the top (see attached pic). My frame material is all 3/4", so ideally I could find some 1/2" dia ball plungers with striker plates. I have looked at dozens of spring latch solutions, and what I am finding is either way too big, or not an edge mount solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tripanel.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	89863  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
These work very well.

post #3 of 7 Old 02-26-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

That could be just the thing, but the reviews are not promising. Mcmaster also carries a selection of small spring plungers (no striker plate) and ball catches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-26-2014, 01:55 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by tns1 View Post
That could be just the thing, but the reviews are not promising. Mcmaster also carries a selection of small spring plungers (no striker plate) and ball catches.
I've used those ball catches many times, and they work very well. The spring tension is adjustable, and they work on the edges without a problem.

post #5 of 7 Old 02-26-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
I've used those ball catches many times, and they work very well. The spring tension is adjustable, and they work on the edges without a problem.
How are they adjusted? What range of gap (ball to striker) will these work well with?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by tns1 View Post
How are they adjusted? What range of gap (ball to striker) will these work well with?
I might have been mistaken that they were adjustable. When they get installed, IIRC the gaps are very minimal, as the ball seats into a cup.
Here's more.

post #7 of 7 Old 02-26-2014, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
I might have been mistaken that they were adjustable. When they get installed, IIRC the gaps are very minimal, as the ball seats into a cup.
Here's more.
Whats odd is the pics on the vertex site and the woodworker.com site make it look like the striker has a straight symmetrical slot across the top (no cup), so I guess it would have the same detent action from both sides. The rockler pics of the striker look like there is a slot lead-in to a cup, so it is more of a one-sided latch action. These might be different products. Who did you get yours from?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode