drawer slides - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 01-07-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
drawer slides

building an office sideboard that will have two side-by-side letter size filing drawers.
if chocked full, perhaps 30 pounds/drawer....

width & height to suit hanging folders, depth front to back 13 inches.

I would like to use some low friction drawer slides - ball bearing types methinks.
of course, every brand says they're the best...

any experiences / brands to recommend? brands that bombed / to avoid?
this build is replacing a single drawer that came with aluminum rails and steel balls. last about 5 years before the alum got chewed up by the steel balls and has been a sticky/balky/jammy PITA ever since....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-07-2017, 04:52 PM

View sbrader's Photo Album My Photos
While certainly not top of the line, I am very happy with some Knapp & Vogt TT100 slides I got at Woodcraft for making slide outs in the kitchen cabinets. They are very smooth and holding a lot more weight than you need.

Scott

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by sbrader; 01-07-2017 at 04:54 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-07-2017, 05:44 PM

View Catpower's Photo Album My Photos
I have been using Gliderite slides, I get them on Amazon, for about $6-7 each, have had good luck with them, but you need to make everything square and tight, there is only about 1/32+- for best operation

Although I have been able to fudge more and got by with it but the tighter the better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-08-2017, 08:26 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I used these on the dressers I built for our master closet, very happy with them, and with CSH.

http://www.cshardware.com/gs-4260-22.html
post #5 of 10 Old 01-08-2017, 09:22 AM

View gmcsmoke's Photo Album My Photos
I just bought some Knapp and &Vogt MUV's from woodworker's supply. seemed well priced and good quality. http://woodworker.com/
post #6 of 10 Old 01-08-2017, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

View TomCT2's Photo Album My Photos
appreciate the input! - checking them out . . .
post #7 of 10 Old 01-15-2018, 09:31 PM

View RonRock's Photo Album My Photos
I don't mean to Hi-Jack the OP's thread, but it's over 1 year old so maybe no issue.

Is there any Ball Bearing drawer slides that are really crap? I know that some may be better than others, but is there a noticeable difference between brands? I don't mean to open a Can-O-Worms but from my limited experience they all seem pretty much equal. Until you start looking at different options, like soft close, etc.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-16-2018, 05:51 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
I don't mean to Hi-Jack the OP's thread, but it's over 1 year old so maybe no issue.

Is there any Ball Bearing drawer slides that are really crap? I know that some may be better than others, but is there a noticeable difference between brands? I don't mean to open a Can-O-Worms but from my limited experience they all seem pretty much equal. Until you start looking at different options, like soft close, etc.
Whatever slides came with my spouse's Harbor Freight workbench were crap. A few ball bearings came out of one of them. I fixed it, but it doesn't feel good. We wound up with an extra, unaccounted for ball bearing when it was all done.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-16-2018, 08:45 AM

View RonRock's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Agnostic View Post
Whatever slides came with my spouse's Harbor Freight workbench were crap. A few ball bearings came out of one of them. I fixed it, but it doesn't feel good. We wound up with an extra, unaccounted for ball bearing when it was all done.
Wow that is a surprise. I have 2 of their roll cabinets and a tool chest. The slides are very good and some are very loaded down. Did you ask for a replacement?

Not doubting that you had a bad experience with HF.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-16-2018, 11:38 AM

View Tool Agnostic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRock View Post
Wow that is a surprise. I have 2 of their roll cabinets and a tool chest. The slides are very good and some are very loaded down. Did you ask for a replacement?

Not doubting that you had a bad experience with HF.
Thank you for the reminder. I just called them and a replacement drawer slide is on the way. I was lucky, because their are four different part numbers for the workbench, and they had replacement slides for only one of them. Fortunately, our part number was the matching one.

I have nothing against Harbor Freight. Their products are cheap, in more than one sense of the word. You get what you pay for. Some of their products are a real bargain, and others are a false economy when they don't work. Fortunately, Harbor Freight has a superb return policy. I don't mind the extra effort of returning tools and finding alternate tools from other sources when the Harbor Freight tools don't work. I trade time and effort for lower costs. I look at buying a tool from Harbor Freight as a scientific inquiry to answer important questions: Will it work? Are the savings worth it? :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode