Drawer Box Height vs Carcass Opening Height - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By _Ogre
  • 1 Post By Tony B

post #1 of 11 Old 04-20-2020, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

View PlyoMattic's Photo Album My Photos
Drawer Box Height vs Carcass Opening Height

I'm doing a series of built-in dressers in bedrooms, and trying to figure out some ideal dimensions.

I'm also trying to minimize material waste and use a lot of pre-varnished 6" and 5" strips of high quality wood.

For a frameless design and drawer front (basically carcass opening) of 8" or 9" high, can I use a drawer box with 5" sides? 6" sides?

Any idea how much shorter than the drawer front and actual interior opening I can get away with for the drawer box sides and back?

(these will hold clothes, no ball bearings)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-20-2020, 11:26 AM

View DrRobert's Photo Album My Photos
Sure.

Robert
post #3 of 11 Old 04-20-2020, 03:10 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
You can only get by with as much as the person contracting for your services will let. The question that you ask can ONLY be answered by that person. If you have a larger opening height than drawer side height you are wasting that opening space and thereby cheating the person who is contracting.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-20-2020, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

I'm building them for myself.

My thought (hope) that I'm seeking some feedback on, was that one could practically and easily store ~7" (high) pile or drawer full of clothes in a drawer with a (for example) 8" or 9" high drawer front, but 4" or 5" high box sides and back. I see a similar concept used routinely in kitchens for drawers with dishes in them.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-20-2020, 04:23 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Then it is your call. If I was building them for myself I would want full sides and particularly backs. I would not skimp to save a few bucks. The people who live in the house after you will also thank you.

George
post #6 of 11 Old 04-20-2020, 07:26 PM

View _Ogre's Photo Album My Photos
it's all use and perspective:
my kitchen pantry has 2" drawers in 12"-16" spaces. cans and cereal boxes don't seem to mind
however... i'd think a drawer, with 5" sides in a 8" opening, full of underwear, socks and bras would mind a lot
Tony B likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-20-2020, 08:01 PM

View sanchez's Photo Album My Photos
Yeah, clothes are floppy. Good luck getting them to stay perfectly still in shallow boxes.

I just made a dresser. The drawer boxes are all as tall as can fit in the openings, like every dresser I've ever seen.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-20-2020, 09:44 PM

View evilboweivel's Photo Album My Photos
couple of observations, I built a chest of draws for my wife and made the drawer sides and backs about 1/2" less than opening height. Have had a major issue with her filling the drawer full and a item catching, rolling over to the back and then blocking the drawer above from closing. Very hard to work it out. Made a scaled down copy for my granddaughter and tried real hard to open up sides and backs to 2-3 inches, just can't do it. Have about a 1 1/2" gap. Time will tell if she has the same problem.
Ron
post #9 of 11 Old 04-21-2020, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

thanks, I'm curious how much of a gap is too much for clothing. For instance - 7" deep drawer, will a 5.5" back and side work? etc

Surprised this info or experiences were so hard to come across.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-21-2020, 07:15 AM

View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
What is your goal? Doing a proper job or seeing how much you can get away with?

Surely you must have a commercially made dresser in your home to look at. If not, just go to a furniture store and check out some furniture with similar designs?

If it is for clothing, I make my sides about 1" shorter. Then again, I am not concerned about maximizing my wood usage. If I were a factory pounding out thousands of units, that would be a different story.

If you are doing this for hire and your budget is that close, you are already in trouble.
TobyC likes this.

Tony B Retired woodworker, among other things.

"Strive for excellence and settle for completion" Tony B
post #11 of 11 Old 04-21-2020, 03:44 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
If you must use the narrow boards for the sides use two of them to make the sides higher, ripping one if you have to, you are only doing this once but likely will be using the dressers for years.

As has been said 1" shorter is pretty well standard.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something -Plato

FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
http://woodworkerglossary.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode