Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul Help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 07-08-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

View lohryx5's Photo Album My Photos
Question Door & Window Trim / Casing Overhaul Help

Currently doing a number of renovations in our house...everything was original to when it was built in '84 and needs serious updating. We've worked our way through most of the downstairs, and now it's time for me to move on to the door and window trim.

My walls are 8' high, except for the living room which has a high vaulted ceiling (18' wedge shape). I'm going with 5 1/4" baseboards like what I put in the half-bath I finished and it looks great.

I've posted some pictures below of the current trim. Whoever installed it didn't miter the corners enough to fully close any gaps and the paint job looks horrible. I'm pretty sure the trim was previously stained with a coat of poly like all of the trim upstairs before they painted most of it white. Additionally, no caulk was used on any of the trim and some of the door and window do not appear to be flush with the drywall, forcing the trim to not sit completely flat. All of the trim is 2 1/4", except for the back door which, for whatever reason, they used 3 1/4" and poorly notched around the fireplace mantel.

Anyway, I want to go with a nice, white Craftsman style (or is it Arts & Crafts) door and window trim. I'm just having some trouble determining the proper dimensions because most of my doors and a couple windows are located in odd places, often close to a corner or up against the fireplace mantel. I would like to go with 3 1/4" trim everywhere to maintain consistency. If I do so, I know I will have to replace all the window stools so that there would be a wide enough horn on both sides to accomodate the increase width of the side casings.

I know the trim for the doors and windows have to be the same or else the top edges will not be even and it might look odd. I also constructed and drywalled a passthrough between the living room and dining room that I would also like to trim out.

Should I just suck it up and stick with 2 1/4" or can I go with 3 1/4" and just trim where necessary for the stiles and headers to fit? Would it be a better idea to keep things simple and use flat stock maybe with a backband of some sort around the outside edges? Appreciate any and all input and advice.

Thanks,
John
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-08-2013, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Here are some pics of the new passthrough I built and some of the windows. Sorry for some of the poor lighting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Passthrough.jpg
Views:	2193
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	74861  

Name:	KitchenWindow.jpg
Views:	1922
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	74863  

Name:	DenWindow.jpg
Views:	1863
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	74864  

Attached Images

post #3 of 8 Old 07-08-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

And here are some examples of the style we like.

None of these are my pictures.

By the way, I don't have to have plinth blocks at the bottom of the door trim, do I? I don't really like the way they look and prefer the straight, flat stiles. Basically, we just want a nice, clean look.

And here is a video that shows a pretty simple way of making this Craftsman style window trim (it's in 3 parts), and he also has a 3-part video for doors as well.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Craftsman Style.jpg
Views:	14631
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	74865  

Name:	Kids Room.jpg
Views:	2119
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	74866  

Name:	DoorTrimA.jpg
Views:	3013
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	74867  

Name:	43248.jpg
Views:	2772
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	74868  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-08-2013, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

And just a handful more of inspiration examples.

A couple show flat time with a simple back band, and one with a roman ogee backband.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	43249.jpg
Views:	2856
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	74869  

Name:	43250.jpg
Views:	2104
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	74870  

Name:	BackBand1.jpg
Views:	9862
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	74871  

Name:	RomanOgeeBackBand.jpg
Views:	1893
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	74872  

post #5 of 8 Old 07-11-2013, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Question

Does anybody have any advice or input? I'm still having trouble deciding what width I should go with for the door and window casings. I can't put the baseboards in until I at least figure out what I should do for the doors since the width of the casing will affect the baseboards. I'm still thinking the window casing width is going to dictate what I have to do for the doors.

Appreciate any and all input. Thanks!
post #6 of 8 Old 07-11-2013, 01:48 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
the trim is going to be a combination of your personal preference, your skill level, equipment availability, and money. As you see, there is a multitude of trim styles and methods, wood species, etc. take more time studying them.

you can see in the one example you could use narrower (2 1/4") for the vertical trim, and cap off with wider stock - saving your stools.

generally, whatever style you choose for the windows, use the same for the doors that are in the same room. looks better imo.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-12-2013, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your response, TimPa. I hadn't even thought about using a wider frieze board to cap it. So basically something like the pics below (examples I've found online) where I could stay with 2 1/4" on the sides and then maybe 3 1/4" or so on top. That's a pretty good idea. I think you're right that I would have to use the same dimensions for the doors. Although 2 1/4" looks kinda puny for the doors, perhaps the wider cap will improve the overall look.

By the way, do you know what the standard dimensions are for casing with ceilings that are 8' tall? I've heard that casing should be about 50% of the baseboard height. Going with 5 1/4" for my baseboards would get me just over 2 1/2" for my casing, which is closer to 2 1/4" anyhow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	window-300x225a.JPG
Views:	2496
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	75140  

Name:	window-trim.jpg
Views:	22915
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	75141  

Attached Images

post #8 of 8 Old 07-12-2013, 02:54 PM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
I don't know of any standards, I trust my eyes to tell me what's pleasing. I would think you could go 1/2 - 3/4" wider on door casing and it be hardly noticeable, if you wanted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode