Door jamb extendion - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

View cnester1's Photo Album My Photos
Door jamb extendion

Trimming out this door in my walkout basement. The door is installed on the outside of the wall so I need to extend the jamb/trim on the inside. How would you recommend I trim around the hinges? I was thinking just to use my router and rabbet out an area for the hinges, but then I could never remove the hinge pins if necessary. Second option is just to butt trim up to the hinges and the trim wouldn't set flush with the current jamb. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-04-2014, 10:27 PM

View Civilian's Photo Album My Photos
set second jamb back

My outside door is similar to yours. We set the appropriate width of 1x material back away from the edge of the current jamb. In other words, if the jamb is 36" wide, the width of the second jamb is like 36 1/2" or enough to allow for the hinge pins to be removed. The jambs are set back from the edge the same amount on both sides and the top. Sort of like a reveal edge. This is what you had as a second option.

Good luck,

Jon
Northern Michigan
post #3 of 8 Old 05-04-2014, 10:32 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
I think I would butt trim to the hinges but ease the edge of the trim with a substantial, 5/16-3/8" roundover to make the transition. I don't think a 1/4" roundover would be quite big enough. JMHO

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-05-2014, 07:27 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Since the door is hinged on that side I believe I would put a couple layers of trim outside of the jamb recessing it into the wall. Your not going to be able to open the door more than 90 degrees anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a trim.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	94341  

post #5 of 8 Old 05-05-2014, 07:50 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like the face (edge) of the wall is in line with the edge of the jamb. I would take a " or ⅝" board and butt it straight in to the jamb, and have it finish out to the corner of the wall. On that vertical edge just install an outside corner trim. There would still be room to remove the pins.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-05-2014, 10:09 AM

View Hwood's Photo Album My Photos
Face nail to your jamb with extensions but set back behind the hinge just enough so it doesn't touch. Keep this set back 'reveal' (not sure on spelling) the same all the way around, just as the door trim would be and do that with the trim on the extension. Take a look at the trim in the rest of your house and I am sure you will see this set back. Thats my preferred way and if needed a small caulk joint can be used to hide gaps from a less than perfect cut. The extension are seldom the same dimension from top to bottom and one side to another so check for that. Straight edge clamped to your 1x material used for the extensions and a circular saw is a quick way to cut them
post #7 of 8 Old 05-05-2014, 06:39 PM

View Warped bored's Photo Album My Photos
This is a pretty common problem. .....You don't really say how far you need to extend the jamb.....I'm guessing 1/2"......We usually do that with an 1/8" reveal on the jamb and and 1/8" reveal on the trim.....Usually the hinge pins clear....the problem is usually the strike plate for the lock.....the plunger hits the wood first.....you just have to find a different strike.

It's always better to add to the other side of the jambs.....but like I said..your problem is a common one......
post #8 of 8 Old 05-22-2014, 11:29 PM

View CarpenterSFO's Photo Album My Photos
Late to the party, but: a reveal/set-back is normal. Making it flush would be unusual.

Bob Cram
Robert Cram Construction
http://www.robertcramconstruction.com
fb page

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode