Do I need to order mounting strips for cabinet crown? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 03-10-2014, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

View nolo's Photo Album My Photos
Do I need to order mounting strips for cabinet crown?

Kitchen designer says it is optional. It costs an additional $320 for the mounting strip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Optional is right. If you need them you can make them.

post #3 of 17 Old 03-10-2014, 11:22 AM

View RNK124's Photo Album My Photos
Make them !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-10-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

What is the purpose of them? Does it just raise the crown a little higher, or is the main purpose for support?
post #5 of 17 Old 03-10-2014, 02:40 PM

View MNsawyergp's Photo Album My Photos
Here is a link to Lowes description of using the mounting strips. Yes, make your own...they just provide backing for nailing into....

http://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/...ulding/project
post #6 of 17 Old 03-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Old School

Depending on the cabinets, crown could attach to the face or to the tops. The strips are just a backing to support the crown when nailing in place. Some strips are beveled on the front edge, with the spring angle, to give more support. On stained finishes, and if the crown has to set forward, the underside of the strip may be finished like the cabinets.

post #7 of 17 Old 03-10-2014, 08:14 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Can you show a picture of the crown molding you plan to use.
post #8 of 17 Old 03-10-2014, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Can you show a picture of the crown molding you plan to use.
I'll take some pictures of the sample tomorrow and post them.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-10-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Should I purchase the patch kit from the cabinet manufacturer, or can I save some money by purchasing it somewhere else? Do you have any recommendations? I will need to fill the nail holes.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-11-2014, 06:55 AM

If all you need is to fill nail holes, minwax sells this soft putty you could use. It's the easiest thing to use. All you do us rub it into the nail hole with your finger and wipe the excess off with a clean rag. You could get your kids to do that job.
Attached Images

post #11 of 17 Old 03-11-2014, 07:35 AM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo View Post
Should I purchase the patch kit from the cabinet manufacturer, or can I save some money by purchasing it somewhere else? Do you have any recommendations? I will need to fill the nail holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If all you need is to fill nail holes, minwax sells this soft putty you could use. It's the easiest thing to use. All you do us rub it into the nail hole with your finger and wipe the excess off with a clean rag. You could get your kids to do that job.
If the cabinets are to be painted, use a spackle, sandable wood putty, Bondo, Glazing and Spot Putty, Durhams Rock Hard, but not any soft putty fillers or caulks.

If the cabinets are to be finished either in a natural (clear), or a stained and topcoated finish, then use the soft putty, and there are many types. Some come in sticks or crayon types (like Minwax Blend Fil). After the finish is complete, you can pick a color, or mix more than one together to match, and just rub in to the hole, and wipe off with a clean cloth. These are said to not harden, but they will over time. No need to topcoat over them. They are great for on site fixes.

post #12 of 17 Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Nolo,
If you are doing the install, before you set the upper cabinets, test fit a piece of crown on top and see what height that adds to the cabinet, then adjust your install height accordingly.
Mike Hawkins
post #13 of 17 Old 03-11-2014, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

The cabinets are painted maple (semi custom), so they will already be finished.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-11-2014, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Here are some pictures of the mounting strip:

What type of joint is that? Would I be able to make it with my router (commonly found bit)?
post #15 of 17 Old 03-11-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo View Post
Thanks

The cabinets are painted maple (semi custom), so they will already be finished.
If the cabinets are actually painted I would put a piece of masking tape where you are going to shoot a nail. That way you can putty the hole without getting any putty on the surrounding paint and it minimizes sanding on the paint. You will though need to get some of the touch up paint from the manufacturer to have the color and sheen match.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-11-2014, 08:44 PM

Apparently the crown molding is made for a tongue and groove joint. Without seeing the crown molding itself it would be difficult to say if you could omit that part. Anyway if you have a table saw it wouldn't be difficult to make.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-11-2014, 09:30 PM

View Johnny5's Photo Album My Photos
Are you getting full or partial overlay doors? If full overlay, then you'll need a backer to nail the crown to, and you'll want it to be finsihed the same as the cabinets so that you can raise the crown slightly to avoid rubbing the door tops if the ceiling is wonky. You can also use it to bring the crown away from the cabinets and overlap the top of the door to give it a more dimensional look. Looks like in the pic that the backer will leave some exposed edge with the crown mouted on the tongue so you will definitely want it to match the cabs. Some crown actually comes with this "backer" pre assembled to it. I find it makes assembly of the joint easier. Cut and assemble the crown on the workbench, set on top of the cabinets and screw up through the tops of the box to attach.

Get the touch up kit. It usually comes with a color matched wax filler, marker, liquid stain and clear coat. Well worth the extra money. One good tip on the wax: rub vigorously to fill the nail hole then use one of the butane torches (the kind that use the cigarette lighter) and sweep the flame quickly over the spot. Then easily wipe away the excess wax.

Use the marker on all of your crown and moulding cuts. Stain the leading edge of the cut before gluing and assembling to hide any bare wood that might peek through.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode