Decorative Panels Sizing - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 02-07-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Fish

View SmallwoodRd's Photo Album My Photos
Decorative Panels Sizing

Hi - This is my first real post so I hope I'm doing this right. I'm building a bar in a friend's basement and would like to dress it up a bit with decorative panels of 3/4 inch plywood with 1/4 round. Is there an eye pleasing ratio to use for the size of the panels? The long side of the bar (82 inches) has two areas of 35 3/4" x 35 1/2". The short side (66 inches) has two areas of 27 1/2" x 35 1/2". What size should should I make these panels. Hopefully, I have attached a photo of the bar in progress. Thanks for any consideration.

Fish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar Panel Pic.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	62191  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-07-2013, 11:47 AM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
When I build a piece like this, I try to get the panels on each side the same width.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-07-2013, 07:02 PM

View RogerInColorado's Photo Album My Photos
Google for "golden ratio" or "golden mean". You may be thoroughly confused at first, but eventually it will sink in. Study several presentations. I do warn you, however, of the risk of obsession. I know when I DON'T use it, I am disappointed in the result.

The golden ratio does not conflict with bradnailer's comment, by the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to RogerInColorado For This Useful Post:
jschaben (02-08-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f27/m...caliper-42447/

Alexis de Tocqueville was a very smart man.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-08-2013, 12:40 PM

View cfullen's Photo Album My Photos
What they said is visually pleasing most every time. In the end, do what looks best to you.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-08-2013, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Fish

View SmallwoodRd's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you all for your responses. I don't think I phrased my question very well. The ratio I was interested in is the area of the panel to the area of the section of bar that holds the panel. I don't think I can apply the Golden ratio to that. I think if I just make my panels so that they all have the same reveal on the top and sides, say 4 or 5 inches all the way around, that I should be OK. Thanks again.

Fish
post #7 of 9 Old 02-08-2013, 04:44 PM

View bradnailer's Photo Album My Photos
Not trying to be critical but just giving my opinion, if I would have built the piece you show in your picture, I would have made three panels rather than two. I like the panels to be significantly taller than they are wide. But that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-08-2013, 05:22 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallwoodRd View Post
Thank you all for your responses. I don't think I phrased my question very well. The ratio I was interested in is the area of the panel to the area of the section of bar that holds the panel. I don't think I can apply the Golden ratio to that. I think if I just make my panels so that they all have the same reveal on the top and sides, say 4 or 5 inches all the way around, that I should be OK. Thanks again.

Fish
When working with panels like that, I usually apply the ratio to the height to compute the approximate width of the panel. In your picture, the front, 82" side, should have 4 panels and the 66" side 3, to get you close. The ratio is 1.618. Doesn't need to be exact but the closer the better for a pleasing appearance.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #9 of 9 Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 PM

View RogerInColorado's Photo Album My Photos
Yes, you can apply the ratio to the rails and stiles and then to the panels. It always takes a lot of work and planning. I once saw an illustration of The Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris with the ratios superimposed on the structure. The tower width to height, the distance between the towers to the height of the towers, the windows in the towers, the "first floor" to the towers, the stairs, the doors. It was truly mind boggling. Visually appealing takes time, but the challenge is really to have both visually appealing and functionality.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode