Custom floor transition - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

View chuckp27's Photo Album My Photos
Custom floor transition

I have laid new travertine in my kitchen and it butts up against the hardwood floor in the other parts of the house. The kitchen flooring is now 1 1/4" higher than the hardwood floor. I've checked a lot of places and it seems 3/4" or smaller is the standard size for transitions and reducers. So, my question is, do i have to make my own or is there a product out there that could work for me? If I have to make my own, does anyone have some tips on what to use and how to make it? I would imagine I need to find a 2x2 or something, but it needs to be nice, and not rough stock, and then cut it at a 45 degree angle to make a ramp? I need some advice, I'm running into lots of roadblocks and don't know what to do. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-30-2011, 06:44 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
To transition 1 1/4" you are going to need more that a run of 2". For that much transition I would have the run no less than 6". Otherwise you will forever have a potentially dangerous stumbling point in your house. If it was me I would go with an even longer run. My insurance company would appreciate me.

Obviously you will have to either custom make or have someone custon make a transition plate. Use whatever material is best going to fit in with the existing flooring.

George
post #3 of 6 Old 11-30-2011, 08:58 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
agreed

That difference in height, 1 1/4" is a real safety issue. It should be distributed over a 12" - 24" length. Falls are the single biggest type of injury in the home..... way more than electrocution, or drowning.
I don't think it will pass code, but I could be wrong. bill

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/a...p/t-41349.html

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specific. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo that illustrates your issue. (:< D)

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-30-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
If you're stuck with the height differential, you can make your own "ramp" type transition with just 3/4". For however long the transition is, the part that touches the lower level, you cut a bevel on the bottom to meet the floor, and allow about 1/4" of flat to the tapered bottom edge. The high end can be cut at the meeting angle to the kitchen floor. Cut a riser spacer to mount under the high end to take up the gap.

post #5 of 6 Old 11-30-2011, 10:05 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
If you have a 13" planer, make a ramp at the correct angle to hold the 2" stock and run it through.

Gene
The Patriot Woodworker

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #6 of 6 Old 12-11-2011, 05:37 PM

View oldwood's Photo Album My Photos
the rate of fall for proper ramps is 1 inch in 9 inches but codes very you will need a hard wood with that taper it will be easy to splinter so might use some cloth or vinal glued on back to reduce splintering cut taper to lower floor on 1 1/2 wood 2" from edge taper back to hi floor notch in hi edge 1 inch top of notch at 1 1/4 place over top hi floor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode