Crown Moulding - 4 Inside Corners - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 11-10-2017, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

View jniech's Photo Album My Photos
Crown Moulding - 4 Inside Corners

Trying to install crown moulding in a basic rectangular room with 4 inside corners. Seems simple but I'm stumped on the installation sequence. Do I start with two butted ends on the first board, then cope/butt the next two? But then I'd end up having to cope both ends of the last board. I'd really like to avoid that scenario. Any alternatives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-10-2017, 10:47 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Do you have access to a compound miter saw? That would make life a whole lot simpler. Coping molding isn't fun but if you work out a pattern to make the cut it's just a matter of measuring a length and coping it. It doesn't matter if you cope one end or two.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-11-2017, 06:50 AM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniech View Post
Trying to install crown moulding in a basic rectangular room with 4 inside corners. Seems simple but I'm stumped on the installation sequence. Do I start with two butted ends on the first board, then cope/butt the next two? But then I'd end up having to cope both ends of the last board. I'd really like to avoid that scenario. Any alternatives?
That is the way it works, the last stick has both ends coped. It's a challenge, my right side cope is solid, so I work that direction. The last stick I cope both ends, if I need any adjustment I do it on the right end since that is my "strong" side.

I like coping, makes for a nice looking corner, much better than compound miters IMO, but to each their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-11-2017, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the advice!
post #5 of 8 Old 11-11-2017, 09:54 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Could you not also make it where the first piece of molding has neither end coped? You could also make any two opposite not coped and cope both ends of the other pair. Or some combination of this.

It really does not matter.

George
post #6 of 8 Old 11-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Smart and Cool

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeC View Post
Could you not also make it where the first piece of molding has neither end coped? You could also make any two opposite not coped and cope both ends of the other pair. Or some combination of this.

It really does not matter.

George
That is what we are implying with "butt".

First stick has no coping(butt/butt), second is cope/butt, third is cope/butt, last is cope/cope.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-11-2017, 10:25 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniech View Post
I start by first cutting me two short pattern pieces for my guide.
I mark these inside right and inside left.
The patterns can be a guide to keep you from getting confused at the Miter Saw.
I donít cope the corners. I cut the molding on an old power Miter box which is not a compound Miter.
I turn the crown mold upside down on the back fence. Once you get your patterns fitting perfectly in the corners you are ready to start.
Cut the molding slightly long and bow it slightly for a tight fit. Trim length as needed for good fit.
Since you donít do this everyday itís a puzzle but trim carpenters who install crown regularly get very quick.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?

Last edited by Toolman50; 11-11-2017 at 10:28 PM.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-12-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

When coping two ends, how are you able to measure the length so precisely that it fits the first time? In all honesty, I'm never able to get the measurement right the first time on any trim piece. Baseboard, crown, doesn't matter. I don't even try any more. I cope the end so it's a tight fit against a scrap piece, then I trim the butt end down until it fits in place. If I cope two ends of a crown molding, though, I'll need to get it right the first time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode