Woodworking Talk banner

Crown Molding finishing question

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  wsommariva 
#1 ·
I just installed about 50 feet of crown molding. I used those new clips and also needed to use brads in some spots. I'm about to fill in all brad holes with wood filler. Wife says the paint will fill in the holes. What is the proper way to eliminate these brad holes?

Thank you

#8 ·
My out of town sister had hers done by a professional trim carpenter ( term used very loosely here) ( no offence to those that are) and he used silicone, gobs of it and she had to spend 4 days removing it in order to fill it correctly and paint it. She also put a stop payment on the check.

#11 ·
I just installed about 50 feet of crown molding. I used those new clips and also needed to use brads in some spots. I'm about to fill in all brad holes with wood filler. Wife says the paint will fill in the holes. What is the proper way to eliminate these brad holes?

Thank you
are you referring to the clips from fastcap (that assists you to install crown by yourself then remove), or the home depot moulding set-up where the moulding snaps into the clip-strip?

Just curious of your thoughts, either way.

#12 ·
The set from Home Depot where the molding snaps into the clips.

The clips install easily with one scrww. The molding snaps in easily to the clips after a brief trial and error period.

The corner and end pieces work very well.

Biggest problem was where you would join two sections of molding. The system sells block pieces that go between the two 8 feet pieces. If you use these. no problem. But, we didn't like these blocks and just butted the two pieces together. Well, with the clips, we could't match them up perfectly. Solution was to leave the clips off about four feet and use adhesive to attach the molding.

I also shot brads into the bottom of the molding at some spots where I had gaps.

Caulking required in some spots.

Bottom line, I liked it after the learning curve and would use them again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.