Crown molding with different angles? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 01-01-2007, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

View carbide man's Photo Album My Photos
Crown molding with different angles?

Got a fireplace that sits in a corner so that there are 2 forty five degree angles in the room. Do you actually cope the molding for this type corner, or is a plain miter the best that can be done?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
For me, there are a few things I consider before making the final cuts. I always make a test cut (or two, or three) with two, 12" long pieces to see how a straight-forward miter is going to work. I use a Bosch miter finder these days, so getting an accurate cut is simple. If it looks like the miter is going to work, I go that way. If there are undulations in the ceiling or wall close to the corner, I may go with coping. I consider if it's stained or painted molding as I can cheat a little with painted (read: caulk). I only do crown a few times a year but must say that I end up coping most of my inside joints. Just seems like a better and tighter fit.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Cope, fudge, push.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-07-2007, 06:48 PM

View troubleseeker's Photo Album My Photos
In this situation, I like to miter. Like Rob said , do some testing to perfect the angles. I always cope 90 degree inside corners though.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-22-2007, 11:41 PM

View TS Carpenter's Photo Album My Photos
Miter, If you cope at that angle you really, really have to under cut the crown when you cope.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-28-2007, 06:55 PM

View Adrian548's Photo Album My Photos
Gary Katz has the answers to all of that. Visit him at JLC online. Or play around with scrap for awhile.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-31-2007, 02:22 AM

View Ted W's Photo Album My Photos
If you miter it will probably open up over time. I know it's a difficult cope but it's the right way to do it. Cope it.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-31-2007, 12:09 PM
post #9 of 14 Old 04-01-2007, 10:31 AM

View Ted W's Photo Album My Photos
Well I guess I stand corrected, miter is not a bad way to go if it's done right. I was taught to always cope inside corners, and all the old (1900ish) homes I work on have inside corners coped. But I guess there's more than one correct way.

I see he's using that special coping shoe I've heard so much about. I gotta git me one o them.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-03-2007, 01:26 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
I have always coped, cut the bevel a little extreme, and just a tad to long so that I can crush the thin fibers against the adjoing piece. When I say "crush" it is really imperceptrible but if gives you a slight head start when the longituduanl shrinkage, which is minimal in wood compared to tangential and radial, happens.
Longitudinal shrinkage affect a miter the same as it does a cope, but you can't fudge on a miter like you can a cope.
I'm not saying my way is the best or only way or even the right way, but inside coping was passed down from the old timers and they had "miters in their toolbox" so to speak. Just the way I have always preferred an inside corner.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-27-2008, 09:11 AM
I love me some wood!

View Majestic Builders's Photo Album My Photos
Am i the only one that does coping with an angle grinder with an extension and sanding disk? That whole coping with a jig saw thing looks a bit time consuming id say....

Jon Nelson Majestic Builders.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-27-2008, 10:52 AM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Jon,
I use an older porter cable jig saw that has a very small opening for the blade and adjustable guides on each side. It is easy to support the base on the angle of the board you are coping. I can buzz through a piece of decorative 6" base in about twenty seconds. Then I just finish up with a rat tail file. Works very nice with a littl practice.
By the way, on 45 degree inside corners, I usually miter them and glue the joint, testing the angle before cutting with an angle finder.
Mike Hawkins
post #13 of 14 Old 11-28-2008, 05:01 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Coping inside corners is a preferred method and likely for the reason that there is only one fitted end that can have movement issues rather than two if mitered.

post #14 of 14 Old 12-21-2008, 08:02 PM

View bmull's Photo Album My Photos
Well I know it seems there are lots in here who like the old way of coping. LOL

But for anyone who prefers the miter cuts, you can check out the chart below. Really is helpful. Of course you may have to do some tweaks with the angles giving depending on how accurate your walls are that you are working with. However this chart will get you a great start & in alot of cases the right cut the first time....... ha ha ha

Enjoy!

Download the Crown Table below
Attached Files
File Type: zip Crowntable1.zip (61.8 KB, 287 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode