complicated trim cut - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 21 Old 03-08-2014, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

View 09stout36's Photo Album My Photos
complicated trim cut

Attachment 90546Hello,

I hope someone might be able to help me out. I have my stairs I am remolding and I made a trim piece to finish the stringers to wall. I have included some pictures to help with understanding my problem. I have a stringer slop of 42.5 deg., a 136 deg radius and the molding is 11/16" x 11/16" with a beaded profile. I am trying to butt the joints together or "if necessary" I can cope one profile to fit them. I made a template of the angles and I tried so many combinations it is difficult to remember with one was the closest but I think it was the 22.5 deg. miter cut but the profile of the rising piece was in long gated by a 1/4". any help would be greatly appreciated. Below is a photo I took of my project.

Thank You,
Gene Stout
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	90547  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-08-2014, 11:24 AM

View usmarine1979's Photo Album My Photos
I know it sounds counter-intuative, but could you remove the pieces above the cut you need to make, measure the angle and then trace out your new pieces?

Seems to me to be the easiest way to get that one done.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-08-2014, 12:55 PM

View MNsawyergp's Photo Album My Photos
If your incline angle is 42.5*, then you divide that by 2 for joints that meets a horizontal piece, so the saw angle will be 21.25* for each piece. For piece meeting a vertical piece, you need to subtract the 42.5* from 90* = 47.5*. Then divide that by 2 to get 23.75* for the saw angle for each piece. For small moldings like this it is easier to miter the joints than to cope them. You can cope them, but still use these degree settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-08-2014, 02:56 PM

View usmarine1979's Photo Album My Photos
^ This is probably a much better answer.
The Following User Says Thank You to usmarine1979 For This Useful Post:
09stout36 (03-08-2014)
post #5 of 21 Old 03-08-2014, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

I tried what you suggested

The problem is that the trim piece turns 22 deg. at the top or under the lip of the step. I have made a mock up of the angle from scrape wood. It has a an out side corner but it shouldn't affect anything.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	208
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	90568  

post #6 of 21 Old 03-08-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Here is the molding

Pictured here
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	200
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	90569  

post #7 of 21 Old 03-08-2014, 07:13 PM
recently retired

View Keith Mathewson's Photo Album My Photos
From a design point of view the invention the chopsaw may be one of the worst things to come along in the last 50 years, everything is now viewed as a miter. As George Ellis said in his stairbuilding book about 100 years ago "work curved piece to fit".
post #8 of 21 Old 03-08-2014, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

What r u saying?

I guess I'm so pose to beat it until it fits. If you can't help then keep quite.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 PM

View Sawdustguy's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry to be asking a stupid question but where is the molding to go in the picture? It is may be a compound angle.

George
post #10 of 21 Old 03-08-2014, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Here is a pic

Here is a pic that will show it nailed under the open riser. I hope it helps thank you.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	186
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	90603  

post #11 of 21 Old 03-09-2014, 01:18 AM
recently retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09stout36 View Post
I guess I'm so pose to beat it until it fits. If you can't help then keep quite.
No Sir you are required to work the piece as required to fit the stair and quiet not quite.
post #12 of 21 Old 03-09-2014, 09:56 AM
recently retired

Gene,
You cannot change in two directions at the same time without having to work one of the pieces to match the profile of the other. If you bring the curved piece to level before the change in direction then it is a simple miter, if not then just cutting a miter will not match. Here is a link to an article which may help you find a solution http://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2010/...board-returns/
post #13 of 21 Old 03-09-2014, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Keith

Keith,

I have been working that piece for more than a day. That's what has brought me here for help. I consider myself an intelligent person and extremely handy with tools but there are time a man just needs some help. I see your occupation is a stair builder. I was hoping that someone in your position would be helpful but instead wrote nothing of subsequence to my problem. If you could please help me with my problem I would greatly appreciate it. If not respecfully please move on to someone else's post.

Thank You,
Gene
post #14 of 21 Old 03-09-2014, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Thank you

Thank you! I am reading the article right now. Hopefully this will help.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-09-2014, 10:19 AM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Quote:
I have been working that piece for more than a day. That's what has brought me here for help. I consider myself an intelligent person and extremely handy with tools but there are time a man just needs some help. I see your occupation is a stair builder. I was hoping that someone in your position would be helpful but instead wrote nothing of subsequence to my problem. If you could please help me with my problem I would greatly appreciate it. If not respecfully please move on to someone else's post.

For a new member, who is asking us for help, you sure are quick with the abrasive replies. People help others in a variety of ways and even the smallest comments can help someone figure out their problem, but to be telling members to "keep quiet" and "move on" would, in my opinion, generate no help at all.
Kudos to Keith, for continuing to help by posting articles and explanations, even after enduring your abrasive nature.
Not a good way to start a relationship in a forum if you ask me.
Just saying.

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #16 of 21 Old 03-09-2014, 11:45 AM
Custom stair builder

View Treeoflifestairs.com's Photo Album My Photos
From the pictures it looks like its a single miter and not a compound miter but the other poster is correct that if the moulding is changing direction in more than one direction it would be a compound miter and the moulding will not line up perfectly. (The only way that a compound miter will line up is if the shape of the moulding is a circle.) If it is a single miter than the above posts will work. If something is not working I would check your angles again. The measurement that caught my attention is the pitch of your staircase. It's fairly high. Not to say that it couldn't be that high but a normal staircase will be in the 34-37 degree range. It only gets higher if it is the interior side of a curved staircase or if it is framed outside of code requirements (according to the IBC and UBC). Good luck.

Check out some of my custom stairs
post #17 of 21 Old 03-09-2014, 12:34 PM

View MNsawyergp's Photo Album My Photos
Your mock up helps, but I need to see the actual corner and underside of the step in a picture to know exactly how to answer. From your mock up it looks like you have a wall corner right where the skirt point is, which means it will be a compound mitered corner. You are working with a 27* saw head angle for the wall corner and the 21.25* miter angle I described earlier for the rise to horizontal angle of the skirt board.....if I am seeing the problem correctly.

BTW, patience always prevails over brute force. Use scrap sticks and keep cutting angles in both pieces until you figure it out. It is simple 3D geometry, not some magical trick game.
post #18 of 21 Old 03-10-2014, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Keith!

After reading the article you linked me to I understood what you were trying to say in your first post. Nothing is as simple as a miter cut and you will have to "work/make" the piece match the raked piece. I just wish you had linked me to that article sooner or had explained it better to me. I have worked the piece like you suggested and it is now installed thanks to you. My apologies for being abrasive but I was expecting a more obvious answer to my problem. Thank you again.

Gene
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 09stout36 For This Useful Post:
Keith Mathewson (03-10-2014), Kenbo (03-10-2014)
post #19 of 21 Old 03-21-2014, 09:04 AM

View rehabTC's Photo Album My Photos
Complex base trim cuts around pillar

I'm about to install 3 1/4 base trim in the basement, but can't figure out how to trim out the cement blocks in this photo. They project out appx 2" at the bottom. Carpet will follow the trim install. Any suggestions or options?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Post support.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	91384  

post #20 of 21 Old 03-21-2014, 09:47 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rehabTC View Post
I'm about to install 3 1/4 base trim in the basement, but can't figure out how to trim out the cement blocks in this photo. They project out appx 2" at the bottom. Carpet will follow the trim install. Any suggestions or options?

We have an introduction section where you can say a few words about yourself. If you fill out your profile in your "User Control Panel", you can list any hobbies, experience or other facts. You can also list your general geographical location which would be a help in answering some questions. In doing that your location will show under your username when you post.

You would do better after introducing yourself, to start your own thread.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode