Chamfer/edge bead bit - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 11-18-2011, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

View Engineer/sawjock's Photo Album My Photos
Chamfer/edge bead bit

Well Does anyone know where to get these bits (see picture)? I have been looking for a while now and can't find em. It looks to me like I need two bits and two passes to recreate this profile and one more to chop out a place for the glass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chucky's picture frame profile 004.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	31982  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-18-2011, 02:49 AM
Since 1994

View Nick Ferry's Photo Album My Photos
woodcraft has a very similar one - it's a champfer on both sides - its a special bit that tommy mcdonald used for a roughcuts project

Can I build that? There's only one way to find out.

My Woodworking Videos
post #3 of 10 Old 11-18-2011, 02:59 AM
Since 1994

View Nick Ferry's Photo Album My Photos
see if this is close enough

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...Bit-10382.aspx

Can I build that? There's only one way to find out.

My Woodworking Videos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-19-2011, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

thanks for your help. I looked at that website for an hour and didn't see that bit.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Just A Guy With A Hammer

View JAGWAH's Photo Album My Photos
Sawjock

This looks like it was ran using an old Sears molding head for a tablesaw. I'll dig out my old set and post a picture of the bit if I'm right.

Bob

Check out my Album Sears Molder, looks like this set is bigger 1" wide, for now until I learn how to upload a pic within the Post

Last edited by JAGWAH; 11-21-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: post pic to album
post #6 of 10 Old 11-21-2011, 05:31 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGWAH
Sawjock

This looks like it was ran using an old Sears molding head for a tablesaw. I'll dig out my old set and post a picture of the bit if I'm right.

Bob

Check out my Album Sears Molder, looks like this set is bigger 1" wide, for now until I learn how to upload a pic within the Post
Exactly what I thought when looking at the picture. I'm certain (unless scale is off) this that's how it was done. Three different profile then dado for glass.

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #7 of 10 Old 11-23-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

molding head setup

Hey thanks man,

Few questions though. The different blades are mounted in the three clamps to produce the profile then? So two setups, 2 passes, then do the bit for the glass? They seem to have a radial arm saw bias, is it better for this than a table saw?

Jason
post #8 of 10 Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 AM
In History is the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer/sawjock
Hey thanks man,

Few questions though. The different blades are mounted in the three clamps to produce the profile then? So two setups, 2 passes, then do the bit for the glass? They seem to have a radial arm saw bias, is it better for this than a table saw?

Jason
It's two or three cutters per profile depending on which set-up you get. The 2/3 blades per profile are all the same and each of the above mentioned profiles is run in it's own pass. As for the front side, three profile actually equals 3 passes or 6 if you're like me and prefer to make a final light pass to reduce tear out.

There is a cutter for the dado (groove) in the back (where the glass goes) as well but it can also be made with dado stack or several passes with a regular blade.

Not all of the sets were sold with the same cutters so don't assume you will have the right ones with the set without checking. I have most of the cutters sears made for it and if you remind me I'll check and tell you the numbers for the individual cutters you need. I may even have duplicates for the ones you need I'd be willing to part with along with an actual cutter head too.

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #9 of 10 Old 11-23-2011, 02:17 AM
In History is the Future

I didn't answer all of your questions...

The table saw is a much safer use for these cutters but you need a dado insert (you can make it) and not all tables saws can run it. I doubt highly if many of the direct drives saws can do to clearance but I've been wrong before.

also, when I say three profile I mean to do the entire front... Ogee at edge and bead in the middle.

Also after writing above I remembered that sears also had a real economy version that only uses one cutter per profile.

post #10 of 10 Old 11-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Just A Guy With A Hammer

View JAGWAH's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer/sawjock View Post
Hey thanks man,

Jason
What Firemedic said. I'll add they offer different sets to add to your collection. I use mine on the table saw, much safer. jmho

This is handy for me due to matching someones cabinets for repair and/or replacement with the way the carpenter originally did it. Otherwise I seldom use this set which was my fathers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode