Chair rail angle - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

View htank's Photo Album My Photos
Chair rail angle

My brother is trying replace this chair rail running up the back stairs, but is having a small problem with the angle. I told him to to find the angle and half it. I am not a professional, so I just wanted to throw this out there and see if that was the right answer or if there is a better way. Thanks, here's a pic of it
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 PM
Custom stair builder

View Treeoflifestairs.com's Photo Album My Photos
The easy way of doing it with no math involved is to take the pieces that will go in those two spots and hold them where they will be going one at a time and draw a line along the top and bottom of the moulding. You will end up with two sets of parallel lines that intersect each other. Now again, hold one piece on the wall and mark the place where the lines intersect on the top and bottom of the moulding. Line those two marks up on your mitersaw and that's the angle of the cut. You want the angles of both pieces to be the same but opposite.

Staircases usually have a pitch of about 35-39 degrees so I would expect that miter to be about 18 degrees give or take.

Check out some of my custom stairs
The Following User Says Thank You to Treeoflifestairs.com For This Useful Post:
OnealWoodworking (05-30-2013)
post #3 of 9 Old 05-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeoflifestairs.com View Post
The easy way of doing it with no math involved is to take the pieces that will go in those two spots and hold them where they will be going one at a time and draw a line along the top and bottom of the moulding. You will end up with two sets of parallel lines that intersect each other. Now again, hold one piece on the wall and mark the place where the lines intersect on the top and bottom of the moulding. Line those two marks up on your mitersaw and that's the angle of the cut. You want the angles of both pieces to be the same but opposite.

Staircases usually have a pitch of about 35-39 degrees so I would expect that miter to be about 18 degrees give or take.
+1. No math involved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
That appears to be a steep stair case

Measure angle and 1/2 is the simplest if you can do that. The method mentioned above works.

Another way if you have a drop saw and no other means to measure the angle is take a length of any flat board,

either hold it on the wall level with the paint line and while it runs past the joint mark the top of the other paint line across your board. Cut the angle on your drop saw when it lines up perfectly with the line then half this angle.

Or

Cut. 45 and then just keep adjusting the cut till it lines up with existing angle then 1/2 that result.

Sounds like you've for it under control ...... next ..... post pics of the result

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art
post #5 of 9 Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 PM

View OnealWoodworking's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeoflifestairs.com View Post

YOU sound like you KNOW your stuff!

Great answer!
post #6 of 9 Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

View htank's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you for the quick responses, I'll pass the info off to him. Thank you again
post #7 of 9 Old 06-02-2013, 04:36 PM

View MORRIS76's Photo Album My Photos
I always thought that bisecting the angle would work but it won't at least not always. I was installing chair rail in my entry way and I measured one of the corners to be about 92deg. so I halved it and cut two 46 deg angles and they didn't mate up. I ended up cutting two angles at about 42 deg. Splain that
post #8 of 9 Old 06-02-2013, 05:18 PM

View skyking's Photo Album My Photos
I do the half angle thing, then take some long rips of scrap plywood and fine-tune the angle.
Gives me a little peace of mind before dicing an expensive handrail or piece of hardwood.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Turning Wood Into Art

View DaveTTC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I do the half angle thing, then take some long rips of scrap plywood and fine-tune the angle.
Gives me a little peace of mind before dicing an expensive handrail or piece of hardwood.
Sounds like a plan, let us know how it goes

DaveTTC

The Turning Cowboy
Turning Wood into Art

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode