ceiling idea? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 32 Old 01-17-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

View smontanye's Photo Album My Photos
ceiling idea?

im remodeling my house and thought i might have an idea for the living room ceiling. The walls will have 32" pine wainscot with natural stain so i thought 2'x2' pine panels trimed with 1.5"x.25" flat stock would look nice. Think of a suspended ceiling look but with wood. Any one seen this done before? pics would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 01-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
No I haven't seen it but we are doing ceilings too and looking for ideas. In two of the bedrooms we're doing wood off the sawmill so that's decided. But in the living, kitchen, and dining we're wanting something ecclectic but not "too wierd" although niether of us are afraid of it.

There won't be one single piece of shatrock in the abode. We have installed OSB for interior sheathing for a solid nail base. Walls and cielings. So our options are unlimited.

We have had so many ideas it's been hard to pare them down. We even looked at cork for cielings, with all it's many differnet looks and material dimensions/sizes etc., and like it for some of the rooms but, the only one we liked was $4 sq foot, and doing this out of pocket we decided it didn't look that good.

We have all our wall choices. But half of the ceilings are, well, still up in the air.

Post a picture if you have anything close to what you are describing. I am not hijacking your thread. I am coming along for the ride.
post #3 of 32 Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 PM

View TheStairguy's Photo Album My Photos
I have done coffered ceilings in the past. Basically you manufacture all your panels ahead of time. What we did is made boxes. They can be rectangle or square, it doesn't matter. What we did was take 3/4" plywood, in this case quarter sawn white Oak, and cut them to the sizes we needed. In your case it would be 2' x 2'. We took solid 3/4 inch white Oak stock that was approximately 4 inches tall and screwed them to the white Oak plywood panel from behind to create a box. We then took 2 3/4" crown mold and trimmed out the inside of the box. In order to affix the box to the ceiling we screwed and pre-drilled mounting blocks to the outside of the box. For our purposes, we wanted the coffered boxes to look like we trimmed them in between beams. We made the space between the boxes 6 1/4" and then placed six-inch wide by 3/4" thick flat stock to span between the coffered boxes to create the illusion of a beam. We nailed through the face into the top of the box sides. What we ended up with was the look of a 6 inch beam with 1/8 inch reveals on the coffered box sides. Now for your purposes, you may not want to go that detailed. However you may want to try a smaller scaled down version of this by just taking some for plywood and nailing some 1" to 1 1/2" tall, 3/4" thick solid material all the way around your 2' x 2' piece of plywood to create your box. Then just simply trim the inside with a nice piece of molding. What you can do to make the installation easier is precut the moldings for your panel but don't put them in yet. Mark them and leave them out for now. Screw the box to the ceiling, staying as close to the side of the box as possible. Once that is done, just take your precut moldings and nail'er home. You may not want to be as far apart with your boxes as I was and you may not want to use as thick of material to span between the boxes. Half inch thick flat stock would do and maybe only span about 3 inches. This system is easy to do, quick, classy and relatively inexpensive. Hope this helps, ROLe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 03-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Forgotten but not gone

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Man I have read it 3 times and cannot picture it. I wish you had a picture. I have a head for numbers and can remember them for decades but I can't visualize stuff from words.
post #5 of 32 Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 PM
"Drill" Sergeant

View lucas.j.dunton's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to lucas.j.dunton
mmmm i have the same exact problem as TT............

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -Hunter S Thompson
post #6 of 32 Old 03-26-2008, 10:28 PM

View huntsman22's Photo Album My Photos
What is this 1/4 inch thick grid idea? Why not do a REAL ceiling?<grin>
10x10 fir beams with 6x6's inletted on 28" centers. You can put shatrock or t & g or even ply in betwixt.......
post #7 of 32 Old 03-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Cabinetmaker

View skymaster's Photo Album My Photos
think siding board and batten, that is what i believe smontayne is saying for the ceiling look

Texas; picture a ceiling with exposed beams, then build boxes between them and shorter than the depth of the beams; at least that is the way I picture it
post #8 of 32 Old 03-27-2008, 06:02 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Stairguy

I've done them like you described, and also with just 3/4" plywood. I made the boxes the height of the crown 1/4" less than the crown mounted height. Then mount the crown, and it stands proud of the sides of the box by 1/4". Then when they are all installed, lay in between the boxes on the top edge of the ply, 1/4" ply, and it flushes to the edge of the crown. I've done this with hardwood ply & crown, and paint grade stuff. Much less of a cost than solid wood.

post #9 of 32 Old 03-27-2008, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

huntsman has the idea of what im thinking. The room only has 94" ceiling height so i think using thick beams would overwelm the room. All i really want your typical 2x2 grid acoustic panel ceiling but using plywood for the panels and say 1 1/4x1/4 flat stock as the "track". I could even just put up full sheets of ply and then trim it to look like their smaller panels.
post #10 of 32 Old 03-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Old School

This is another way I've done a wood dropped ceiling. The wall angles/cross, and main tees are 3/4" x 1 1/2". The main and cross tees are grooved 1/4" deep to accept 1/4" plywood, glued in. As in the pictures below, the 1/4" plywood is notched at the ends to lay on top of either the wall angle (for main tees) or on top of the main tees (for cross tees). Hanging holes are drilled in the 1/4" for suspension wires. The wall angle has a built in vertical cleat to screw it to the wall, and that height can be just about anything...1" to 2". Laying in 1/4" plywood panels is easy, They just lay on top and but against the 1/4" ply.

I've done these with all hardwood plywood. You can use iron on edge banding, and it will appear to be solid wood. The plywood panels could be exchanged for plastic translucent light panels.

post #11 of 32 Old 03-27-2008, 09:35 AM

Wood ceiling

I suppose you could just use sheets of plywood and then trim them out with small pieces of wood. However, everything would look too perfect to a point, and it would look like..........well, you just put up some sheets of plywood and trimmed them out with small pieces of wood. If you cut up the plywood and mixed them up in 2' x 2' sections the grains wouldn't look so uniform. The colors would be slightly different, and it would give the ceiling some life. I am not trying to be judgmental and I know everything comes down to cost and time. I just think if you are going to go through the paces to put up a wood ceiling it might behoove you to take a few more hours and do it this way. I am going out to a job site today where I did a coffered ceiling and I'll take some pic's. Good luck and thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to weigh in. ROLe.
post #12 of 32 Old 03-27-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

i think im gonna go with the 2x2 panels. From what im understanding by coffered is that its pretty much idea but theres mre depth to it? that might look good in the room if i do it on smaller scale, mabe instead of crown use 3/4 cove. Pics would be awesome. And i see your in mn, where about? Im in faribault/hollandale depending on the day.

cabinetman, from your drawings i take it that you just made the track out of wood instead of the normal metal?
post #13 of 32 Old 03-27-2008, 08:28 PM

Ceiling

Here is what I was on about. What you may want to try to break up the room a bit is to use rectangular panels around the perimeter of the room with squares at the corners. then fill in the center. Just a thought.

herreid 011a.jpg
herreid 004a.jpg
post #14 of 32 Old 03-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanye View Post
cabinetman, from your drawings i take it that you just made the track out of wood instead of the normal metal?

Yesiree. You can lay it out for any size panel, and suspend it where you desire.

post #15 of 32 Old 03-27-2008, 08:31 PM

cieling

Oops I fergitted to put this in. I'm in Carver. Howdy neighbor.
post #16 of 32 Old 03-27-2008, 08:33 PM

Ceiling

Oops agin dangit! Click on the jpg's to see my pic's, ROLe.
post #17 of 32 Old 03-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Andrew Close

View aclose's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStairguy View Post
Here is what I was on about. What you may want to try to break up the room a bit is to use rectangular panels around the perimeter of the room with squares at the corners. then fill in the center. Just a thought.

herreid 011a.jpg
herreid 004a.jpg
i'm not getting anything with the link you posted...
post #18 of 32 Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 AM

Pictures

I'm obviously not doing something right. They open just fine on my "Putor" but when I try it on my other one it doesn't. Hmmmmm. I'm what is known as Putor chalenged. I will work on it a try to get'er fix'ed. ROLe.

Last edited by TheStairguy; 03-28-2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: mis-spelled words
post #19 of 32 Old 04-11-2008, 09:54 AM

View Cdat's Photo Album My Photos
Go for the coffered look:
post #20 of 32 Old 04-11-2008, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

i think i will go for a coffered look but on a smaller scale, with 8ft ceilings i think if they get too deep it look odd. Was thinking maybe just go 1.5-2" depth would be good. And id be doing this right now but ive been getting lucky and getting cabinet jobs for other people so mine can wait.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode