Cabinet doors wood recommendation - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 03-05-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

View cgh40's Photo Album My Photos
Cabinet doors wood recommendation

I need to replace some doors on a painted built-in with shaker style doors, I'm planning to use 1/4" panel inserts what type of wood is recommended for the panels the stiles & rails, that has the minimum warping? I'm trying to avoid MDF as the costumer prefers wood even though they will be painted.
I really appreciate your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-05-2010, 04:28 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Cg,
You could use poplar for the styles, great for painting and pretty stable. You could also use hard maple if you want a tougher wood, though it will cost more. For the panels, birch plywood would work well and should be easy to find. Might want to go to a real lumberyard or millwork shop to get good materials.
Mike Hawkins
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
cgh40 (03-06-2010)
post #3 of 11 Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 PM

View bb71's Photo Album My Photos
I use poplar all the time for painted doors. If the customer will let you, use 1/4" MDF for the panels - makes for a very humidity stable door. If not MDF then birch as Mike suggested.

Whenever I do painted doors I always try to convince the customer to let me take a very small (1/16" across the flat) chamfer off all corners of the front face of the the stiles and rails. This way there is a very slight shadow where the stiles and rails meet. If a paint line shows up over time at a stile / rail joint, it much more obscured. I have it happen a couple times in homes where the owner does nothing to control humidity (and there's huge swings). When I show a sample, pretty well everyone goes for it - it adds a nice element to the door.
The Following User Says Thank You to bb71 For This Useful Post:
cgh40 (03-06-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-06-2010, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
post #5 of 11 Old 03-29-2010, 12:00 AM

View Jordy3738's Photo Album My Photos
Paint grade maple is what I have always ordered from my local door manufacturer.

I'd stay away from MDF if possible and go with plywood center panels. As a sales person, I always attempt to convince the customer to go with the better material.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-04-2010, 02:26 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
I built this hall cabinet. The doors have popular rails & stiles with a 3/4" mdf raised panel. For paint grade I usually go this route. I also use 1/4" mdf flat panels when customer does not want a raised center panel. Once painted you can not tell the different materials used. This combination does not cost alot & works well together.
Attached Images

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
post #7 of 11 Old 04-04-2010, 02:29 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordy3738 View Post
Paint grade maple is what I have always ordered from my local door manufacturer.

I'd stay away from MDF if possible and go with plywood center panels. As a sales person, I always attempt to convince the customer to go with the better material.
Plywood center panels sometimes warp unless they have an mdf core which stay flat.

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
post #8 of 11 Old 04-05-2010, 06:32 PM

View bb71's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordy3738 View Post

I'm not sure why you'd suggest to stay away from the MDF panel?
post #9 of 11 Old 04-21-2010, 01:35 AM

View Jordy3738's Photo Album My Photos
I'm located in the South Florida area. There have been so many flake-board, press-board, particleboard and MDF cabinet parts that have gotten water damaged, customers around here always ask what things are made of.

I suggest Plywood for durability.

Standard size cabinet shaker door 1/4" panels will not warp if the are painted properly.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-03-2010, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for all you help and advices, the doors came out really good, I used poplar for the styles and mdf for the panels the customer was happy with the end result. Now I have another project where I need a whole bunch of doors and drawer panels it's way too big for me I'm planning to order from a online vendor, can any one recommend one for me ?
Thanks again!
post #11 of 11 Old 05-28-2010, 04:58 AM

View Cincinnati's Photo Album My Photos
IMHO, if you choose 1/4", birch plywood is your best option. Otherwise, you'll be re-sawing, planing and sanding lots of seasoned poplar for painting. I wouldn't choose any other wood for painting.

I dislike 1/4 MDF in cabinets close to water usage. Just Personal Opinion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode