Built in cabinetry question - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 03-13-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

View docleon's Photo Album My Photos
Built in cabinetry question

I am a hobbyist woodworker, so I don't pretend to know about professional cabinet making. I recently ordered a very expensive built in entertainment unit for my home with a paint finish. I was very surprised when the unit arrived that it was composed solely of cabinet grade plywood and veneered MDF. I was under the impression that high end cabinetry was made of solid wood. Is there truth to the argument that painted finish is better on coated MDF for wear and tear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-13-2009, 02:46 PM

View RussBoyd's Photo Album My Photos
cabinet

I think most of the guys would say, Yes, most (if not all) HIGH END cabinetry is made from solid wood (and some ply). As far as the veneer goes, I don't know why they would veneer something that was to be painted, but mdf is used as a veneer core a lot because of it's stability. Any good painter can end up with as good a job on wood as on mdf, but mdf does paint better on the average. Russ
post #3 of 10 Old 03-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Very expensive is relative. Most mass produced products are made this way. MDF is a good paintable surface, but it is not very strong.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Chief pencil holder

View scribbles's Photo Album My Photos
Mdf has its uses; the builder should have explained what you were going to receive. I like poplar for anything with a load on it, and mdf for just ascetic panels. If it is a door with glass in it, I use maple.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 02:13 AM

View clampman's Photo Album My Photos
Scribbles,

Why do you like maple for glass doors?

Experience is something you get only just right after you needed it.
http://www.miterclamp.com
post #6 of 10 Old 03-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Chief pencil holder

I have had bad luck with delicate doors with there muttons and such sagging with the weight of the glass in them, no such problem with maple. It is just much stronger, takes abuse better, and it is so clean it paints beautiful.

Truth is it is probably overkill, but is jut one way I try to distinguish my work from the herd. I have a ton of competition out here in nor-cal.

I do the same thing on handrail; if I have a pg span over 10' I use maple for the rail, no wiggle over time.

Last edited by scribbles; 03-14-2009 at 12:24 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-15-2009, 09:03 PM

Thanks Scribbles,

I figured it might have been for the finish you can get on it spraying lacquer. The only glass doors I've done were for built-in china cabs and medicine cabs for painting by brush. I used poplar because it takes glue so well and I like very, very narrow muntins which don't leave much area for glue.

Hopefully, none of them have broken loose , but I'll never know since none of them were for me.

Cheers,
Jim

post #8 of 10 Old 03-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Chief pencil holder

By the way i love your corner clamps. What do they use to grab? teath or just friction? I need to get a couple sets.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 AM

They use teeth. But two on each side can be removed for hardwood in high visibility areas, like stairway landing windows where your eyes are a few inches from the casing edge when coming down the stairs.

The main objectives were speed and pressure.

post #10 of 10 Old 03-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by docleon View Post
I am a hobbyist woodworker, so I don't pretend to know about professional cabinet making. I recently ordered a very expensive built in entertainment unit for my home with a paint finish. I was very surprised when the unit arrived that it was composed solely of cabinet grade plywood and veneered MDF. I was under the impression that high end cabinetry was made of solid wood.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Since you ordered the unit painted, I'm surprised that there was plywood at all. In some circles, "high end" may just be a reference to cost and not referenced to construction or the materials used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docleon View Post
Is there truth to the argument that painted finish is better on coated MDF for wear and tear?

I'm not sure what you mean by "coated". Generally speaking, if finished properly, MDF will provide a good surface for painting or veneering. A painted finish can be damaged by being scratched or abrasions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode